Originally Posted By: DonM
I didn't mean for my post to sound hostile, ...
DonM

Me neither, and I don't think it did, but then we never know how the 'typed' word is going to be interpreted ...

Originally Posted By: cgiles
I think the point of posts such as this one is to stimulate discussion, not hostility. There's no law that says we all have to agree on everything (except for Gary's speedy recovery). I guess the original question is not very clear. It could be anything from 'which would you hire to do a wedding' to 'who is the more legitimate musician'. Depends on the venue, depends on your taste in music, depends on way too many variables to say anything definitively. Therefore, the only value to a post like this is mainly social interaction. That being the case, why not keep it friendly.

chas

As to who I would hire for a wedding, it would depend on the audience ... If I at age 71 were getting re-married OR celebrating my 50th wedding anniversary as we will next year, I would be well satisfied with a duo or trio that would be able to perform the type of music WE like - some light jazz and bossa novas during cocktails, some of the same and standards from the Great American Song book during dinner, some dance music from the 50s through the 80s after dinner ... and I KNOW a group that could do that ... party
I also know that there are arranger players on this forum who could do this ... perhaps using some backing tracks for some of the dance stuff, but they would do a very fine job ...
If someone in their 30s is getting married, they will opt for a DJ because everything HAS to sound like the record, so why not play the record ... frown ...
Of course in the greater NY area you can find 8 to 10 piece BANDS that can actually do this, but you are going to pay upwards of $10,000 for the night ... eek2

As for who is the more legitimate musician, IMHO, I don't consider a DJ a musician ... now he/she MAY be one - like Donny - but while spinning records or whatever, I don't think so ...

So once, again, due to my age, background, personal tastes, etc., for ME it would be live music - even if backing tracks are ADDED - over DJ 99% of the time ...

Some people like the subtle taste of Vanilla, some like the 'wildness of Rocky Road ... ME? ... I'm somewhere in the Butter Pecan/Pistachio area ... grin

Now if I am going out for a night of listening to music, my first choice is going to be live jazz ... but I would NOT walk out on a performer playing and singing with an arranger ... after all, that's what I do ... and enough people have told me they really enjoy it ...
grin