Originally Posted By: Tom NL
I never had a Yamaha product. My current arranger is a Korg PA2x-pro and I had a Roland G-70 before that. I was never really tempted by the previous Tyros versions, but I played a Tyros 4 for almost two hours in a music store a few weeks ago and.......totally fell in love. I mailed my usual store, got a great offer and ordered one. Delivery is expected within a week from now, maybe this weekend.

My only concern is the 61 keys as opposed to the 76 I had the last 6 years. But hey, it doesn't seem to hinder Peter Baartmans or Martin Harris, so who am I to complain? Anyway, I am really looking forward to getting my Ty4!!!

Congratulations, Tom!

Like Scott, I am a piano player, and it wasn't too difficult to adjust to the 61 notes for arranger-type play. I just had to realize, that the arranger is not a piano...it has "piano sounds", but they are only a small portion of the hundreds of available sounds for the player to choose from.

I like what Scott said about available RH playing room..."3-1/2 octaves available for the right hand, which is only a 1/2 octave less than from middle C to the top of an 88 note piano."

Playing chords in the smaller available area, was another adjustment, but, again, not a big deal.

There are those who would have nothing less than a 76 note keyboard, but they will have to buy elsewhere, as Yamaha has pinned the 61-note only message to the mast of it's portable arranger flagship line, but, there are some excellent alternatives available, from other companies, to the person needing more than 5 Octaves.

I love the Tyros4, and the more I play it, the more impressed I am with the sound and features ...it's Yamaha's best arranger to date, in my opinion.

Again, congratulations on your new Tyros4.

Ian