UD,
Well said, Point well taken.

It kind of goes back to when I was buying and upgrading on a regular basis the home organs. Especially the Thomas brand...I remember a real good dmo guy/salesman at the store in Toledo Ohio telling me 'more than once'...remeber, your buying the Organ NOT the player, I don't follow you home with it. Back then the sounds were more traditional organ (real leslie's) with a few goody sounds thrown in, and the cabinet was very much a part of what you were buying.

Then came along the Yamaha Electones...WOW, what a sound. The cabinet was very secondary now, except they had a great fold down top to keep dust off.

Still, if the instrument does sound good in demos, anyone dedicated to working on it...should be able to learn to get that sound or something similar.
As to Ian's question...well Ian it depends on the person, if they have lot's of bucks just get the thing. If you do't like it sell it at a loss.
If your more like most of us here, travel if neccesary to audition the instrument before buying. If in a area where that is not at all practical, I guess you go on demos, friends suggestions and a little faith (maybe past experience with the brand). Oh, I almost forgot....and not too many people do this...read the manuals cover to cover, and enjoy a pot of tea!