[QUOTE]Originally posted by AFG Music:
[B]Nigel

IP: Logged
vagro
Member posted 07-28-2009 11:42 AM

Thanks Nigel! I was looking forward to a MS forum. Now I'll start the forum asking something:

Dear Dom,
I will upgrade the Mother and the Micro for a dualcore one. Do you think I should replace the micro for a Quad core? (in my country: dual core= Us$ 80; Quad core=Us$210). I mean, are you are planning to upgrade the OS soon requiring a more powerful microprocessor? (less than one year at least)
Thanks.

Victor

Fran Carango
Member posted 07-28-2009 11:50 AM

I think Dom will suggest the dual core over the quad....because of third party support problems..I am using the dual core..and it is fast and efficient..

vagro
Member posted 07-28-2009 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I think Dom will suggest the dual core over the quad....because of third party support problems..I am using the dual core..and it is fast and efficient..

Thanks Fran. I hope so. But I'll wait for the answer of the master.

AFG Music
Member posted 07-28-2009 12:52 PM

vagro mybe is beter to wait some weeks for see
the o.s devolpment for quad.

i have the same problem i have mainboard astrock NF3 VSTA with AMD Athlon 3500+ one core and 4.5 GB DDR2

but for me is my MS slow becouse O.S 3.2 rev 1676 dual or quadcore uptimaized.

So..here the point:
from OS 3.X ubuntu, we have used some new linux kernel RT ( realtime for low latency)
the kernel was compiled from www.64studio.com in one MS that include the CPU X2 dualcore.
on the new OS 3.2 we have also included the new Jack MP that work well only from dualcore, not single core.
On OS 3.3 give again a new compiled kernel with the special Nvidia patch for the multiple display support ( right now this feature is available ONLY for the MS keyboards, maybe in about 8-12 months will be available on the all 3th party new Linux distribution too)

So..IF you will install this new OS 3.2/3.3, you need also the new mainboard K10N78 with a Dualcore AMD CPU, for the quad core we have to compile all again or will not work so well as the dualcore.

Note:
the new entry AMD3 CPU: Athlon X2-250, is 3000mhz clock, 2Mb cache level and 4000MT/s transfer data..is about more fast as the quad core that have only 3600MT/s and 512Kb cache ( need the DDR2/1066 for ful speed) and suck only 65W insted of the 130W of the quad core.
Old dualcore 5200+ was only 2700Mhz and 2000MT/s

I wil test on this days too the X2-250, after the multiple display script is fixed, then I report if is full fine working.