I don't understand Yamaha's logic nor their reasoning as to why they continue to put mediocre Drum Kits in their totl arrangers. You're paying through the nose for a 61 key flagship product (more costly than their comparable workstation line) and then they put in mediocre Drum Kits and spoil it all. I've really come to believe that Yamaha puts a distinction between their arranger customers from their workstation customers. Their workstation customers are obviously considered professionals because their workstation line offers both 76 & 88 key versions. Whilst their arranger customers are deemed elderly home hobbyists with significant hearing loss and too weak to lift anything over 27 lbs apparently. That's the only reason I can think of anyway. Even though Yamaha realizes that many arranger keyboardists play in a professional setting i.e. they gig with their Tyros/2/3/4. Doesn't seem to faze Yamaha though does it. The Drum Kits on both their mid and totl arrangers are their Achilles heel in my opinion. Quality Drum Kits are essential and instrumental in achieving that 'Live Band' sound yet Yamaha continues to fall short in that critical area again, needless to say. Some people might be okay with the T4 drums but when you really understand the difference between outstanding drum kits vs. mediocre drum kits it's hard to fathom why some people would slough it off and settle for "mediocre" over quality and resigning oneself to: "Oh, it's just typical Yamaha so I'll just go ahead and fork over $5,000 and have to put up with it I guess." To each his own I guess.

I would have most likely gotten a Tyros4 if it had 76 keys and better Drum Kits, even at its astronomical price point. On the other hand, if people are indeed pleased with Yamaha's latest effort then who am I to dissuade them from purchasing it? If you like it, more power to you! I'm sure Yammie will sell a boat load of them even with its apparent shortcoming(s). Maybe the Tyros 5 will finally have more than 61 keys and a gaggle of professional sounding drum kits who knows? Nah! I'm kidding myself right? Either way though, we'll have to wait three more years to find out.

Shucks, maybe the Tyros 9 could finally be the ticket? Nah, too soon most likely. Perhaps the Tyros 17 will finally strike pay dirt? And we'll all be 90 years old or older too unfortunately. There are other choices out there thank God. Hopefully Ketron, Korg and Roland will continue with 76 key versions and keep putting professional sounding Drum Kits and other high-end features in their totl arrangers like they're currently doing. Necessity is the mother of invention and I'm sure glad two of the Big Three and Ketron recognize that fact.

All the best,
Mike