Chas, let me "shoot from the hip" here If one pays attention to the Bose ads, each musician uses his or her own system. That would, in effect, give a stereo sound as each instrument and voice would be amplified separately and be heard from the audience collectively. I believe that having two columns would essentially serve the same purpose by spreading the left and right channels to their maximum width.

As previously stated, the stereo "effect" pretty much dissolves beyond 20-30 ft. leaving a mixed mono sound further out. Personally, unless the channels are close enough to actually hear the mix in each channel, I feel that stereo might be a less than optimum way to amplify live stage sound. How many times have you been near to the right channel only to miss the parts you are used to hearing out of the left channel?

I say that for those who prefer or insist on stereo, then you will always be looking for the best mix. For us able to settle for live mono, what's the fuss?

Bose is very good, good enough to cause arguments among knowledgable musicians. Other systems are also very good. Price is something each of us has to deal with. If you are not willing to pay the price for a Bose then find the best system you can afford and be happy with it. How or why I ever came to own a Bose Compact still confounds me, but I'm glad I have it now.