WOW! Just got home, fired up the PC to check my Email, then clicked on the zone. I see you guys are still at it.

OK, I tried to reconcile this with some science tonight, however, I had a problem. I had not used my old DB meter in probably 5 years, and I forgot to take out the batteries--BIG MISTAKE. That $150 DB meter is now a gooey, white mess inside and well beyond repair. I hope to borrow one from a friend who owns a local music store, or maybe one from another friend who is a state trooper. Yes, a state trooper--they have noise pollution laws here and they are enforced.

At any rate, I don't think any of this will help our friend make a decision about which system to buy, and I DO NOT KNOW what kind of music he performs/plays. I seriously doubt that anyone on this forum plays head-banging rock, but I could be wrong.

If there are some I would like them to identify themselves so I can tell them the Bose L1 and L1 Compact is not the system for them. The Bose does not provide a huge falloff in volume, it does not provide the distortion some folks are used to hearing, and it is not in stereo. It is probably as loud as any system you'll ever use, and that volume level is spread fairly evenly throughout the venue. It provides clear, crisp, clean sounds throughout the human hearing range, even when pushed to higher levels.

Now, for those who tried the Bose L1 and L1 Compact, DIDN'T like them, or they DID NOT fulfill your needs, raise your hands! Hmmm. For some reason I don't seem to see more than a couple--must be something in the computer, How about those that sent them back for a refund? OK. Now lets see a show of hands from those that use them every day (or night), love what they hear, have great audience responses and DO NOT think this was too much to pay for this fantastic system? Now that's what I'm talking about!

Now, I don't perform for young people, that is, those ranging from 21 to 30 years of age. And, I don't go where they go, do what they do, and enjoy the kind of music Diki described. However, I suspect that if you put 350 of them in a room, turned the PA volume up to 120-DB (same as a jet engine), six drunken girls would get off their bar stools and shake some body parts. This would attract six drunken guys, who would stumble onto the dance floor, two of which would pick a fight, two others would begin throwing up, and the other two would steal their beer while the fight ensued. At this point the DJ/KJ/band would crank up the volume until the speakers distorted all to hell. I guess someone may think this is fun and entertaining--just not the folks I know. That's what's nice about getting older.

I sometimes perform for fairly large audiences that range in age from 45 to 65, conventions, corporate parties, major fishing tournaments, jobs that sometimes have audience sizes ranging from 300 to more than 500 people. Most do not dance, but a fair proportion of them will get out on the dance floor. At the end of the night, a significant number of individuals will come to you and tell you how much they enjoyed the music, and some ask when you'll be returning. Ironically, since I began using the Bose systems there has been one comment that always sticks in my mind: "We really loved your voice and the songs you sang. Your voice was so clear I could understand every word you sang, even though we were in the back of the room." My voice hasn't changed in years, and I never had someone make that comment when I used a conventional sound system.

So, when I get the opportunity to measure the actual DB level at a half-dozen venues, I'll post the information. From past experience, though, I suspect that the level I perform at probably falls in the 65 to 75-DB range. This is just an educated guess at this point. Now, could I crank the Bose L1 Compact up to 120-DB? I don't know. Would I want to? NAH! That's kids stuff.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)