I just got done playing the scariest set in many moons. I got to the venue a 1/2 hr. early, as usual. I got everything set up and even had time to tweak the Compact and the G70. The clock hit 2:30 and I started by playing Satin Doll using my medium swing style. As I approached the end of the song I pushed my SMF list button and - lo and behold there were no SMFs. I left the memory card on the computer desk; I had edited some titles and now forgot it at home. Luckily, I keep a spare, BUT it too was at home today. The following 55 minutes were a learning opportunity, as they say. I played my way thru many songs I don't normally play and also played a few with styles I've never used; wow, was that interesting. I dug in deep and forced myself to adjust tempos on the fly (I hate tap tempo). My usual stellar job on Before You Accuse Me was an exercise in slow, medium and fast blues - each verse a little faster than the previous...

All I can say is, the G70 and the Compact sounded great and I guess I did a pretty good job too because the crowd gave me a standing ovation - actually, they were standing as we all sung God Bless America. But the did like the program very much and the AD was very enthusiastic about saying she would look for some more date for this year and secure some dates with me for next.

So my scary set turned into a fulfilling one. When you screw up, keep going and you will work your way out of a jam.