What a difference a day makes, 24 little hours... Today's experience with the Compact was a 180* compared to yesterday. What was different? A lot!

First I spent some time with the unit this morning and played my SMFs, styles and sounds thru it over and over. I played with the G70 EQ and decided that the Standard and Flat settings are best. But the biggest change from yesterday were the volume controls. Yesterday the g70 was up all the way while the Compact volume was at 10 o'clock. Today I set the G70 at 11 or 12 o'clock as needed and set and forgot the Compact at 12 straight up. What a difference that made all by itself. The sounds were clear and vocals came thru without a hitch. It didn't hurt that today I had a larger room and I placed the PAS further away from me - I'm convinced I was too close yesterday to really appreciate the sound. I also feel that the lower volume of the Compact did no justice to the keyboard dynamics.

An observation - the lower volumes are very smooth, say up to about 10 o'clock and the higher volumes, above one o'clock really kick. If you can use the amp at 1 or 2 with your equipment I think you'll get optimum sound.

And an aside to Bill Corfield - yeah, Bill today's sound test went much better and I was more impressed with the kick. I think you could make the Compact sing, if that's what you choose to do.

One more job on Monday, this one is probably outside, so I'd like to hear how that works out. I did my fine tuning out on the patio this morning and the neighbor came over and said DON'T STOP when I quit. He said the sound was amazing and was surprised it came from only the Compact.

Day 2 Compact score B+. Today it sounded better than my CM-30's and almost as good as my Mackie setup.

...and to reply to Diki's comment - I used both the single cable and later a double cable and found no audible difference for me. I'll probably start using the single cable and start clearing some of hte stuff I carried around for the CM-30's. May bag will be a little lighter now.

Lastly, a big thanks to Gary for all your great suggestions. It's those simple things that make the difference.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 08-22-2009).]