Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Talking of 'House of Love'...

Greg Barnhill, who wrote that, lived near me for quite a while. I've done sessions with him, played that tune live with him (amongst others!), and even sat in on a couple of songwriting sessions. He is very focussed at making sure the lyric speaks directly to you. There is a very fine line between an idiom that everyone immediately gets, and being 'cutesy' or vague...

He's a great guy, and very down to earth. And very insistent that writing songs is a day to day JOB, not simply waiting around for inspiration to strike...

Hey Diki. I wasn't aware of and never heard the song with the similar title. "House of Love" is not an idiom. Idiom has a different meaning. I put my heart into the song, and didn't come up with the hook to be cutesy. About 12 years ago when I wrote it, I was recovering from chronic pain and not working and spending tons of time writing songs and playing the piano and guitar. I might work on the 2nd and 3rd verses to tighten up the song.

You have to understand that different people have different sensibilities. I don't think that you, Diki, are devoid of sentimentality, but you don't come across as the most gushy, tender type of guy, and you might not be my target audience for a pretty tender song. Now I know that a lot of James Taylor's stuff comes across as too sweet and mellow for me, so I can relate if the song strikes you as cloying. I try to not go into that territory, and if I strayed into it, I'll try to pull back.

Anyway, I'm glad that some people like it a lot. I've gotten numerous emails from strangers who liked the song. It can probably be improved. But I've paid enough dues to sing the blues. I might be rough around the edges, but there is no artifice.

Beakybird