Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Frank.., the problem is that RolandUS really doesn't give a crap about the arranger line here in the USA. They're more concerned about their sales overseas (as the numbers are much higher there). The pro arranger market (even the semi-pro market) is MUCH smaller here in the USA...

It's getting harder to find a music store today with a keyboard department. Unless you're fortunate enough to have a G. Center, Sam Ash, George Kaye, or Frankie near by it's going to be hard to locate them.

Even locally owned music stores opening their doors today are opening WITHOUT keyboard departments. What I've found over the years is that MANY privately owned music stores are owned by guitar/bass players, and even drummers, and if they do sell keyboards they never hire people who play keys. They're more interested in selling guitars and drums.

You go into these stores today.., and ask for a particular keyboard 99.99% of the time you'll hear "we don't have that in stock, but I can order you one". If you ask why they don't sell keyboards you'll always hear.., we can't find anyone qualified to operate them.., or demo them..., and the cost of running the keyboard department is expensive (which it is too).

Sadly many people today have no choice but to buy their keys "sight unseen". I also think that's part of the reason why you have your dedicated brand X owners. Since the boards are to find in local stores..., people will often stick to the one brand they've been using and because you cannot find stores that sell them, and sell multiple brands, one often sticks to what they know rather than take a chance on something they've never used or seen.

Some of you guys are lucky because you live within a reasonable driving distance to see a keyboard. Personally there's no way in hell I'd take a 6 hour round trip just to test drive a keyboard. Clealy those who find a trip like that worth the effort have much more time on their hands than I do.., and most likely have kids that are much much older than my child.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-16-2008).]

Sadly Thats true and applies to our store. We have 400 guitars on the walls on two levels,Drums,Amps, PA gear, Bose Mackie, 200 SF of Sheet misic, 12vBaby Grands, All the Clavinovas, Disclaviers, uprights,Clavinova, PSR lines, E lines, We have Korg, (Roland is trying to get in),

But we will not carry any workstations or high end Arrangers. (we do have a T3 which we only have becasue I bought one and the owner knew I could demo it even though I told him to save his money).If or when it sells we won't get another.

The problem is for some reason applicable to mostly keyboard players, that they buy on the Internet. They will use the store and manpower for Demos then buy on the Net for far less then we will. Because we can make more money on the space with other merchandise that will turn over at better margins. We tried it and got stuck with some workstations for a couple years!

Guitar players buy what they play off the wall whether $200 or $4000, PA buyers buy off the floor, Piano and smaller keyboard buyers buy stock.For some reason pro keyboard players are more interested in saving 7% tax then supporting a local music store. So we decided not to carry any workstation or high end arrangers and instead we carry the Korg PA50 and PSR900 and sell the hell out of them. The owner does not want an Internet presence and since he pays for everything that comes through the door within days he feels comfortable doing business like he does.

The space workstations and High end arrangers would take up can be better used for merchandise that will actually turn over at a decent margin rather then take up my time demoing them and then getting beat up by Internet dealers. We have no issue with them but we do submit to them.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 12-17-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA