Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
Whoah!

Chas can you expand on your Fantom comment (off-topic or not). I recently saw one in the flesh and had a (quick) play on that wonderful keybed, and saw just the other day some Youtube promo videos that quite frankly blew me utterly away!

What's wrong with the Fantom??????

Wrong? Probably nothing. Mostly, I just find it uninspiring. It could be that for my needs, all the nice 'workstation' features are wasted on me. I find the 'bread and butter' sounds no better than my SonicCell, the GM2 sounds the SAME as the SonicCell, the keybed no better (if as good) as my ancient A70, RAM expansion uses hard-to-find last generation memory, pianos that are average (hundreds of pianos but none I'd classify as excellent), at best, organs that are sub-par, drums that, in my opinion, are not as authentic-sounding as those on my PA1x (again, lots of kits but I tend to stick to standard or jazz kits), need mouse for easy and quick navigation, no touch screen (I, for one, love them), poor navigation for live performance unless meticulously set up ahead of time (probably like most true WS's, too complicated for life performance), LOUSY implementation of USB drive for storage and transfer, computer is a must for full utilization, long learning curve, no direct HD support, did I mention 'uninspiring' sounds.....the basic patches (single mode) are, ummmmm, basic. Of course, layering is dead easy and sampling is fairly well implemented if you're already pretty familiar with sampling technique.

I haven't touched this thing for a week and it's fairly new; that tells me a lot about how I feel about it. Sadly, I'm not inspired enough to want to learn it in-depth, which, no doubt, would lead to a much greater appreciation for the instrument. It's probably a great board for producing Hip-Hop, Rap, funk, maybe even Rock. For jazz, latin, etc., there are probably better choices. I go back and play some of the multi's on my ancient Triton Classic (w/Moss) and it blows the Fantom away (especially El. Pianos) in terms of 'Phatness' (balls, if you will).

Of course, this is just my opinion. I probably haven't given this beast a proper shot. You know how it is; some keyboards you just like, others just leave you cold. I didn't return it 'cause I tend to be a packrat, but I probably should have. It doesn't help that I'm not sure what I'm looking for (Nord Stage, maybe?) but when I go into my 'studio' just to relax, I always reach for my Nord C1 first (and usually stay there). Also, I have consistently refused to add other voices for gigs (maybe I just want to keep it pure). Maybe I only like Organ and piano, maybe I'm stuck in the past, maybe I'm nuts (my wife votes for number three). Who knows.

chas