Quote:
Originally posted by normark:
I have been using a Tyros1 for several years, and I have considered to upgrade to a Tyros3. Instead of buying a Tyros3 I have (more or less) decided to go for a Motif XS8 instead. In Denmark the price of a T3 and XS8 is exactly the same. I hope the combination of these two instruments will be more interesting and challenging for me than "just" the Tyros3. I intend - for instance - to use use the styles in the Tyros1 together with the voices (and arps etc) of the Motif.

I would like to get some advise on how to control and synchronize the Tyros from the Motif (and/or perhaps the other way around). A possible scenario might be:

1. Record a song on the Tyros using a style.
2. Following that, record some tracks on the Motif.
3. Finally start song playing *simultaneously* on both instrument.

Can I easily start recording on the Motif while *at the same time* automatically start song playing at the Tyros?

I am well aware of the Midi settings of in Tyros, including the possibility of using an external clock etc. But I am not really sure if one of them can remotely control (start playing, start recording on) the other. I am also aware that the Tyros has the resolution of 1920 PPQN while the Motif runs at 480 PPQN. Will that turn out to be a problem?

Will the natural solution be to control both instruments from a PC sequencer, such as Cubase or Sonar?

I think thats a great Idea. I was and still am thinking of doing the same, (albeit the XS Module) HOWEVER, You had better have an excellent understanding of MIDI and sync. Which syncs to which when.

The TYROS is not a s MIDI friendly as the Motif is terms of a work station. It's MIDI implementation is Horrible if you are used to workstations. You have to think in a different way. I have spent a lot of time learning the best way to use it with with Sonar. I'm still experimenting. The Muli-Pads are giving me fits right now.

But the easy way would be to create the sequence on the Tyros save it as a MIDI file and open it in Cakewalk. But I don't do things easily. I want it to work like I work.

Plus I have an RD-700 in the MIDI mix as well.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA