And just a quick word about MP3's...

Not all software reads VBR (variable bit rate) MP3's, especially some browser plug-ins. I might suggest that a fixed rate of at least 192 kbps will be more than adequate.

While some obsess over the lossy nature, from 192 kbps upwards is, IMO, MORE than enough to demonstrate our keyboards well. It is FAR more important to get a solid (but not clipped) recording level, and then a little mild limiting (3-6db) to bring overall levels up. I prefer to record at 44/24 .wav, do any limiting or compression while still .wav, THEN convert to MP3, but some of you may be using built-in MP3 recorders...

If so, I recommend after recording to AT LEAST 'normalize' the file, or limit (if you can) to help raise the overall level. MP3's are a 'lossy' codec, so if you record too low, when you normalize or limit, you are raising the noise floor and accentuating the inherent 'smear' that MP3 puts on the sound. Hence, making sure that you record at as high a level as you can before clipping, and you will minimize the difference between what YOU hear, and what gets onto the MP3.

Unfortunately, I am a Mac guy, so can't recommend any specific MP3 editing software, but I have used a cross-platform program called Audacity, which has these tools included. Perhaps other, more Windows savvy members could suggest what programs do the best (hopefully free!) job at this.

To be honest, without the aid of some seriously good monitors, most of us here would probably have a hard time distinguishing between a 16/44 .wav and a 256 kbps mp3 of the same file, AS LONG AS IT WAS RECORDED WELL IN THE FIRST PLACE (our ears aren't as young as they used to be!). But make your levels too low, fail to normalize and limit a little, and it gets a lot easier!

I hope this helps...