Quote:
Originally posted by Earl:
I'll have the opportunity to sing and play in a little restaurant. I don't feel very comfortable playing and singing with a dynamic microphone in front of me and think it'll be easier to use a headset mic, being completely free (more over, I know from other people’s past gigs that positioning the mic boom is very hard because of lack of space on this stage). The standard mic used on this place is a classical SM58 and I'd like to get at least the same "level of sound's quality".

Q1) Do you think using an headset mic is a good idea in the previously explained context? .

Hi Earl: For uptempo contemporary pop & dance tunes where varying vocal volume & traditional vocal-mic techniques aren't required, a headset mic can be very convenient, but for vocal dynamics are essential, espeically those intimate ballads and torch songs, I strongly recommend learning how to utilize a standard mic mounted on a mic boom. Only a traditional mic allows you easily get close up and personal, as well as slowly or quickly pulling away from the mic as needed as well.

Quote:

I studied my favourite mic manufacturer's web site (Shure) and identified two models that should fit my needs: WH30 and Beta 54. It seems that the Beta 54 is more sensitive than the WH30 but don't know if it may lead to problems with the piano's sound??

I recommend a mic with an adjustable polar pattern which is relatively small so you don't pick up to much ambient sound.

Quote:

I'm also thinking about getting wireless mics .

If you can afford going wireless, by all means do, Just remember that the UHF models offer less possibility of interference than VHF models do. I myself, when I eventually go wireless will go with a UHF model for this reason.

Quote:

Q3) Have you got some VH/mic settings recommendations for my PSR2000?.

Sorry, no longer own the PSR2000 so can't help you there, but I somehow remember one of the preset default settings worked well for me.

Quote:

Q3bis) Is there a significant interest to use a better mic like Beta 58 or 87? I think wireless mics would be better to interact with the audience too...(I'll play POP and Disco songs, if it's of interest). ?

I personally would go with the Beta 87 if you can afford it. Better clarity, and more detail? But, BEFORE purchasing any microphone, I STRONGLY recommend you audition in a store both models, as well as other brands/models in your affordable price range. Every mic sounds different with everyone as no two people sound the same. Our voice is like a hand print, individually unique. For this reason, Choosing a mic is possibly the most personal piece of music equipment you can buy.

Earl, sorry can't answer any MORE of your questions tonight, It's time for bed. Perhaps Uncle Dave and others will be able to answer your other many questions here. Good luck on your upcoming project and gigs.

Scott