I believe that a good musician with the right arranger keyboard can reasonably re-create the spontaniety of a jazz performance. With the use of a variety of drum fills triggered in just the right places as well as multipad hits and other arranger keyboard playing techniques (chord substituions, etc) , you can really create a feeling of 'live' interaction between the arranger parts and your live playing which is such an intergral part of what jazz is about. I studied jazz in college, peformed in a combo and know that the chemistry of playing off other musicians can't really be matched with an arranger, but sometimes it gets close, especially with the use of arranger playing techniques, 'smoke and mirrors' as Uncle Dave calls it. I currently perform all styles of music (from pop to country, r&b, rock to showtunes). I realize that mainstream audiences appreciate a melody that will be easily recognizable and that they can sing along to. Though never a hardcore jazz player, I continue to enjoy playing and singing the classic pop standards which have become classic jazz swing tunes as well and like to throw in a few chord substitutions here or there to add flair to an otherwise bland chord progression. The KEY to performing is to 'know' your audience and to not only give them what they want, but to give them a taste of something new and original as well. I typically play a set of standard fare and then throw in something different in the middle of the second set once I've won them over and given them what THEY think they came for. Once I got them in the palm of my hands, I am free to expand their listening experience (one or two tunes) of somethng different: from bebop jazz to hardcore hillbilly country to classical. Music comes in so many wonderful flavors. If you can suceed at turning your audience on to something new, you'll have them begging for MORE ! That being said, I think that Technics has the best piano sound and styles specifically for jazz.

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 12-18-2001).]