Hi Scott

I grew up thinking that Oriental meant Japan, Korea, and China. But the other definition refers to West Asia near the Mediterranean. So far, it appears that an Oriental keyboard is primarily an Arabic keyboard, with Turkey coming in second. Arabic tuning, like Western tuning, divides the octave into 12 parts, so it fits a piano keyboard nicely. As with just intonation (non-equal temperament) the exact tuning depends on the key. For an Arabic scale on C, the change from equal temperament is: C=-6, C#=+45, D=-2, Eb=-12, E=-51, F=-8, F#=+43, G=-4, G#=+47, A=0, Bb=-10, B=-49. The differentials are given in cents (hundredths of a semitone). (Probably, this is one of your presets on the KN-5000). Several of the tones are about half-way between the equal temperament notes.

You might guess I have been reading recently on this subject, inspired by the many posters on the subject and the hundreds of Arabic and other MidEastern styles that are appearing at MIDI-Style-Atlas eGroup. (We also got our first Chinese style today.)

Other than the scale control, the sounds are important. Oriental keyboards tend to include an Arabic drum kit. I think one is now specified in GM Level 2, so this is less unusual than it was. Also, there are some MidEast instruments like the Oud that are not well represented in mainstream arrangers.

Well, that should hold you until the experts show up.