What i find interesting when these sorts of debates happen is that whatever anyone says is true from their experience but let me add my 5 pence worth

Everyone has a measure of the "gift" of music (not equally so however) but what makes great players stand out is undoubtedly the aplication of that gift with focused directed practise. Art Tatum did not just sit at a piano and play briliantly, he must have practised to get to a level where he could play well (there are lots of myths about great players and their natural abilities but to the most extent they are simply that ...myths). Practise could involve playing certain riffs over until you can play them fluently or listening to music until your ear becomes highly trained to chords and progressions and harmonic content. Some people will develope more quickly through practise than others but EVERYONE can improve their musicianship if they practise the areas they want to improve. I get just a tad upset when people say they wish they had the gift to play a musical instrument. If they can hear one note diferent from another and can keep time reasonably they have all the gift they need. The rest is down to application and focused learning and practise.

And thats the same for any talent or gift be it sport music,public speaking etc

[This message has been edited by Spalding1 (edited 03-06-2007).]