Stephen,

After a few years playing with bands I have now been playing solo for around 30 years and for the first 10 years or so I didn't sing but I used a mike for announcements.

The only work I could get was playing lounges/bars or backing cabaret but in those days there was a fair amount of work around as "DISCO" wasn't as prolific so that was ok.

Then one day one of the vocal acts i was backing asked me why I didn't sing and I told him that I couldn't at which point he started to reel of a list of past and current hits by singers who also couldn't sing but that hadn't stopped them (Lee Marvin/Wandrin' Star - Telly Savalas/If etc)

Although I wasn't convinced I started to slip in the odd song where the vocal range wasn't too great and I couldn't belive the reaction. Not only from the audience but from the management of the establishments I played.

Not long after I was getting offers of work in other residencies and one off engagements such as wedding receptions and social clubs.

I doubt if I would get much work nowadays if I didn't sing so I would say that's your number one priority. Start slowly and build on your success it will do wonders for your confidence when you get positive feedback.
It was a big decision at the time for me but now I think nothing of it. Give it a try.

I also looked at your website and find that you are an accomplished background player but for my gigs I need more up tempo songs with a strong beat than soft tinkly ballads even when playing to Senior Citizens who are not able to dance.

They mostly request 60s songs which is a shame as I love playing big band or funky jazz but they pay the piper.

All the best in getting more gigs - there is some good advice above and I can only endorse wholeheartedly with what the other guys say.

KFingers