Stephen-

I perform regularly at nursing homes & retirement communites in the Dayton, OH metro area. I average over 250 shows per year at these type places...I also perform in clubs on most weekends...Right now, I have 367 shows on my books for this year. This is what works for me...

First of all, Glenn said a mouthful with:

"Much good advice has already been given, especially regarding audience interaction. An activity director once told me she has seen many entertainers who either have good musical talent *OR* have good audience interaction, but very few who provide both. And that, IMO, is the key to being successful, you have to give them... BOTH."

I hear the exact same thing...

As a nursing home entertainer-I am hired to be the familiar face that comes in every other month or so...is friendly and respectful of the residents, plays good quality music and makes the hour I have them with me the fastest hour of their day.
I try and set a relaxed, casual, interactive tone with most of my audiences. In between songs I may play short games with them...(Name this tune, Big Band Leader name trivia (I give them the first name-they tell me the last name. ie: "If I say Les...you say?" "BROWN" ...)Sometimes stories about my kids...(I have 3 girls they most places have seen me bring along through the years...)Bottom line is find an area where you're comfortable "smoozing" them and stay there. Too often I've had Activity Directors complain to me about other entertainers doing things they weren't hired to do in the first place. I learn names...I ask specific questions when possible. As others have commented...the "feel" you establish is really important. Warm, comfortable, upbeat, sincere all are good goals to strive for.

Pacing is also important-Keep the songs coming...don't fall into the trap of playing the same old stuff many nursing home entertainers play. The average ages of most nursing homes is between 60 and 80. Ask yourself what music where these people likely listening to in their 20's? Well, If we use 70 as a age to work from...It lands you in the late 50's and early 60's. THAT'S where at least half of your program should come from. Fill out the rest of your time with Big band tunes, some country, polkas, etc. Upbeat is critical. Ballads are great 2-3 times during an hour...but IMO, that's it.

As far as the singing goes...IMO, it makes it more difficult for you, no question. BUT adding a 2nd person isn't a cure-all. This will effect your cost to the facility...your personal take home pay, etc. Most homes will not book anyone over $100.00 a show except for special occasions. $100 can't pay 2 people a reasonable wage unless the money doesn't matter to you. Therein lies the problem...

Personally, after writing this...I amost think you shouldn't try & do nursing home as your main places to play. Why not target venues like a restaurant perhaps where vocals aren't such an issue. To me...no vocals mean background music...which might explain why your act isn't "clicking" at nursing homes.

Do what you do best. If you're not a singer, then don't sing. Rethink some marketing strategies and see if you can't find venues that better fit your skills...

Finally. as Spaulding commented...work on your timing...I might consider re-recording your demo for your website. IMO, the feel on that isn't happening and I hear some timing or at the very least phrasing issues going on.

Good luck...

Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 07-11-2005).]