Donny,

If I had the technical ( computer ) skills needed, I'd consider building one myself, with all of the styles and sounds already inside, but with the option of course of adding any DX / VST plugs as well.

I think OMB is already good enough as far as navigation goes. As I said before, I find it just as easy to use as any arranger I've ever owned. The caveat of course is matching the right styles to the right sounds. It's pretty much the equivalent of importing styles from another arranger and trying to make them sound as good as ( or even better than ) your arranger's internal ones. Using all of the sound modules, samples and Vsti's I have, I can get the Korg styles, for example, to sound as good and in some cases better in my soft arranger than they sound on the PA80. This can however, take a lot of work, using several different modules / sample sets, etc, as I've yet to find any all in one soft modules that cover every type of instrument.

What really makes a difference to me are the lead voices though. My PA80 pales in comparison, and even the best Yamaha sounds lag behind for me.. and I happen to like many of Yamaha's lead voices better than their counterpatrts on the PA80.

Starkeeper,

I think SGM180 sounds come close to Hypersonic's GM set.. and I think both are very good. My SGM180 is modified though, so that also makes a difference. I like Hypersonic's GM set as well if not better than Bandstand overall. Mainly I liked that they loaded quickly. What I liked most about Hypersonic was the non GM ( lead ) voices. The basses and drums are excellent, along with many of the acoustic instruments, and there are a multitude of outstanding Digital synth patches and soundscapes. The latter is where HS2 really shines, and I always felt the Motif / Mo ES to be weak in the synth sound areas vs the other of the big 3. I didn't give the organs enough of a test drive though to say how much I like them vs other stuff I have.

Really, I think of HS2 as something like a Motif ES inside a computer, only with better sounds and effects, but also without the arps and sequencer. Then again that's what apps like Sonar, Cubase are for.... or for pattern building FL Studio, Orion, and Energy XT are for....

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-24-2006).]