Hi folks,
For the past few years I've totally ignored arranger keyboard technology because I just didn't believe the manufacturers had got the functionality or sound quality right. This now seems to be changing dramatically and boy am I getting interested. The main consideration for me is that the instrument being represented has to sound like the real thing. One of the best examples to use is the classical or spanish guitar, which needs several velocity layers and even a note release sound (fingers off strings) to even begin to achieve the required realism. I guess if a keyboard can achieve this then I would put it up for comarison before I part with my hard earned cash. Anyway, I've been looking at the specs for the following models having heard MP3 downloads of them, and I've made a couple of comments by each in the hope that anyone owning one or more of the models can help me decide which keyboard to go for:-

Ketron SD1:-
Pros: Great functionality and nice sounds. 76 synth weighted keys is good. Looks good and seems robust for on the road.
Cons: Shame about 64 voice polyphony. I assume if many velocity layers were actually used this would reduce even more dramitically.
Korg PA 80:-
Pros: Excellent voices (Classical guitar comes close).
Cons: Only 5 octave, and seems more for home keyboard use.
Yam 9000 Pro:-
Pros: Main orchestral sounds excellent. Great functionality, and keyboard. 128 Pol, 76 Keys. Seems to be main SD1 competitor.
Cons: Too many diluted GM/XG sounds. Maybe better if more high quality voices were used.
Roland VA76:
Pros: Abundance of good quality sounds. I don't know how they achieve this with only 48M ROM? 128 Pol. 76 Keys.
Cons: Too much quantity, perhaps not enough quality where it counts. Why spend a fair amount of money on gimmick functions so you can wave your hands around to get some attention!
Tyros: -
Pros: From what I've heard of it Yamaha have achieved something near to perfection in the realism stakes. The ultimate compliment to any keyboard musician is to play a piece on guitar, solo trumpet or sax, and make it sound indistinguishable from the real thing. 128 Pol.
Cons: Lack of functionality, eg. sampling (unless I've missed something). Only 5 octave.
In conclusion, I am looking for a keyboard that has superb orchestral sounds (er - including mussette accordion) with open enough architecture and robustness to enable longevity. Hope I havn't bored you, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated before I take the plunge.
Thanks, Ron Martin.