Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros

Posted by: s330synth

Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/13/02 04:04 AM

Hi folks,
For the past few years I've totally ignored arranger keyboard technology because I just didn't believe the manufacturers had got the functionality or sound quality right. This now seems to be changing dramatically and boy am I getting interested. The main consideration for me is that the instrument being represented has to sound like the real thing. One of the best examples to use is the classical or spanish guitar, which needs several velocity layers and even a note release sound (fingers off strings) to even begin to achieve the required realism. I guess if a keyboard can achieve this then I would put it up for comarison before I part with my hard earned cash. Anyway, I've been looking at the specs for the following models having heard MP3 downloads of them, and I've made a couple of comments by each in the hope that anyone owning one or more of the models can help me decide which keyboard to go for:-

Ketron SD1:-
Pros: Great functionality and nice sounds. 76 synth weighted keys is good. Looks good and seems robust for on the road.
Cons: Shame about 64 voice polyphony. I assume if many velocity layers were actually used this would reduce even more dramitically.
Korg PA 80:-
Pros: Excellent voices (Classical guitar comes close).
Cons: Only 5 octave, and seems more for home keyboard use.
Yam 9000 Pro:-
Pros: Main orchestral sounds excellent. Great functionality, and keyboard. 128 Pol, 76 Keys. Seems to be main SD1 competitor.
Cons: Too many diluted GM/XG sounds. Maybe better if more high quality voices were used.
Roland VA76:
Pros: Abundance of good quality sounds. I don't know how they achieve this with only 48M ROM? 128 Pol. 76 Keys.
Cons: Too much quantity, perhaps not enough quality where it counts. Why spend a fair amount of money on gimmick functions so you can wave your hands around to get some attention!
Tyros: -
Pros: From what I've heard of it Yamaha have achieved something near to perfection in the realism stakes. The ultimate compliment to any keyboard musician is to play a piece on guitar, solo trumpet or sax, and make it sound indistinguishable from the real thing. 128 Pol.
Cons: Lack of functionality, eg. sampling (unless I've missed something). Only 5 octave.
In conclusion, I am looking for a keyboard that has superb orchestral sounds (er - including mussette accordion) with open enough architecture and robustness to enable longevity. Hope I havn't bored you, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated before I take the plunge.
Thanks, Ron Martin.
Posted by: trtjazz

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/13/02 06:12 AM

Ron,
I think you did a good job of coming to an assessment of the different boards you are looking at. So it has to boil down to this....what can you live with or without. Each board is going to be some sort of compromise.
jam on,
Terry

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/13/02 08:11 AM

Your right Terry, I guess for me it's the sound quality I really want. Thanks for that, and I'll keep you posted as to what I end up with.
Ron
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Ron,
I think you did a good job of coming to an assessment of the different boards you are looking at. So it has to boil down to this....what can you live with or without. Each board is going to be some sort of compromise.
jam on,
Terry
Posted by: rolandfan

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/13/02 09:18 AM

Roland VA76:
Pros: Abundance of good quality sounds. I don't know how they achieve this with only 48M ROM?

Its magic
Posted by: Clif Anderson

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/13/02 09:58 AM

Hey Rolandfan

I played a VA-76 for the first time last nite. I enjoyed controlling the vocal phrases with the D-beam. Certainly, there is nothing like it from other manufacturers.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/13/02 12:57 PM

Clif, that is why we should be open minded and try other boards. We may be surprized at what we find. I too , found interesting ways to use the Variphrase, and in many ways it is better than the"dedicated" sampler found on other brands. I did not like the get around features that much and I am awaiting Rolands next entry..Fran

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/13/02 04:42 PM

Hi Fran,

If you do not mind sharing, what are the different ways you use Variphrase?
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/13/02 08:33 PM

Clif, not to mislead you, It's been about a year since I sold my VA7..As I can recall we are able to trigger our own vocals for back up spots in realtime[instead of harmonizer], since the new upgrades I believe we can use the Variphrase in the arranger parts now[original models could not]. I have been considering the VA76 again because of this ability.Hesitating till word on a new model[???]

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/14/02 02:09 AM

Hi Rolandfan,
I too have been a Roland fan for many years, and had bought the first D50 to come to the UK (still got it). Do you know a site where I can download some examples of the main lead voices for the VA76, particularly nylon guitars, trumpets, sax, flutes and accordions.
Cheers,
Ron
Quote:
Originally posted by rolandfan:
Roland VA76:
Pros: Abundance of good quality sounds. I don't know how they achieve this with only 48M ROM?

Its magic

[This message has been edited by s330synth (edited 11-14-2002).]

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/14/02 03:07 AM

Fran, I think I experienced using the Variphrase in the arranger parts.

While I was demoing, I used a blues style and selected a Variphrase "set me free". The phrase repeated in time with the style. I controlled the inflection of the phrase using the D-beam so it didn't sound repetitive. I was pleased with the result. The salesman said he wasn't bothered much by what I was doing--which is about as much as I get in the way of compliments for my playing.
Posted by: The Pro

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/14/02 05:52 AM

I can't help but rip on Roland products having suffered with more than my share of problems with them. Roland is one of the worst companies when it comes to support - look on any discussion group for Roland products and you'll find some angry people. Here's a good one to start with that covers everything from recorders to keyboards: http://www.vsplanet.com/. Roland's owners manuals are often poorly translated and while they may have a couple of innovations from the 90's left in stock, for the most part they are far behind the technology curve, especially in the arranger market. While new arrangers are popping up around us from other companies, Roland's next arranger is buried in maybe-someday-land. The VA-series keyboards are dated and no sequels are in sight. If I was investing new money on current technology, it sure wouldn't be with Roland.
Posted by: Luis.Santos

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/14/02 06:23 AM

I was looking for VA76, SD1 and 9000 pro.
VA76 has the best keys for my taste, but I think SD1 and 9000PRO have better sound and styles. Then I tested both keyboard and SD1 win 9000PRO in the styles, but in sounds they're very similar. I really prefer SD1 for live playing because of all the "direct" buttons to the functions needed. Even the SD1 Style control is easily reached with both hands because it's in the middle of the keyboard.
That's why I just bought a SD1.

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/14/02 11:09 AM

Hello S330

You can go through an interactive demo of the VA7/76 here :
http://www.rolandmusik.de/shockwave/va-7/index.htm

One of the talented board members Dreamer has composed songs on his VA7 . He also has done songs with a Ketron...

The following songs on his site are done using the VA7 only.

Can't help falling in love
Michelle
A hard day's night
And I love her
Caravan
Here there everywhere
Mambo Jambo
Moonlight Serenade
New York State of Mind
Toussaint l'Overture
You don't have to say you love me

You can visit his site at:
http://andrearotolo.tripod.com/dreamer/id1.html
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/14/02 11:36 AM

Roland fan,
thank you for the "talented", but I am sorry to say that I had to remove some of the songs you mentioned from my site, to make room for other songs. The songs removed are:

A hard day's night
And I love her
You don't have to say you love me

However, I think that the remaining ones give a good idea of the VA7 overall sound quality.
Thank you again for your kind words.

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/14/02 11:59 AM

You most welcome. My favourite song of yours is Cant Help Falling.... That sax is beautifully played.

I think Roland didn't do enough demo songs to show off the good instruments on the VA 7 the way Yamaha has done on the Tyros..hopefully on their next arranger they will.

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/15/02 01:29 AM

Thanks Rolandfan and to Dreamer. I'm going to try a VA76, and an SD1 tommorrow (I have to drive 70k to see them but it will be worth it).

Ron
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: Help - SD1 vs 900 Pro vs VA76 vs Tyros - 11/15/02 02:03 AM

...by the way, among the new songs I have added to my site, "You are the sunshine of my life" is recorded entirely on the VA7.
On the other hand, Brazil, Guajira, Guantanamera, Hold on I'm coming and Route 66 are recorded on the SD1 only.