Gang-

Glenn's ideas are very solid...I'm in the other corner of Ohio. I'd say my average gig (near Dayton) pays anywhere from $75-$100. If I go much past metro Dayton, its usually $100-$125 for an hour job.

When I started out in the mid 90's doing music full time, I had an approach that worked fantastically for me. I would walk in to a facility right around lunch time. No activities are scheduled usually at that time of day. (That's right, a cold call...) I would always be dressed nicely and ask to see the AD. Upon meeting her I would give her my business card and describe to her what I do. Typically, they will say something like, "Thanks, I'll keep your card on file and get in touch with you if something comes up." (Exactly what I expect them to say...) Then I'd say, "I understand, I've heard horror stories from other activity professionals hiring musicians they didn't know and regretting it. Tell you what....if you like, why don't you round up a few residents and I'll play a few songs right now for them? Free of course...then you'll have a better idea what I do?"

...At this moment they think me either a confident professional who can actually back up what I claim to be able to do OR someone with a lot of gall who's about to make a fool of themselves. Either way, almost always...they took me up on it.

...Once I'm actually playing and singing...everything falls into place. I play 2-3 songs on whatever piano they have...bang...Then you hear the magic words "Do you have your schedule with you?" I can't count the number of new clients I got that way.

...I haven't done that in a LONG time, lol...(Wonder if I could still pull it off?)
Its risky...if it goes well...great...if you screw it up, word spreads pretty fast sometimes.

...Most of the AD's commented afterwards that they were impressed with the "on the spot," "right now," "no advance notice" ability to be able to entertain their residents. I've got about 14 long term accounts thart I started this way. So, approach letters, calls etc. all are good...but remember....most AD's get 3-5 calls just like yours every week. Demos are a plus but not everyone can produce a demo...and a bad one is worse than none at all.

..It wasn't 100%...If the AD says its not a good time, accept that...inquire when a time might be better to stop back...Don't push it.

Good luck with whatever approach you go with...

Bill in Dayton
Bill in Dayton