Scott/Others,

I started the senior home circut by first visiting a few places and checking out the entertainment. In most cases I learned what
entertainers charged by introducing myself, telling them why I was there, and asking questions. In every case, the responce was congenial.

I then learned the name of the activity director, the address, and phone number... then called to speak with the AD (keep calling till you make direct contact), introduced myself, and in a few days sent a brief letter similar to the following:

"Dear Kelly,

This is to follow-up on our recent conversation and further introduce myself and my music. I’ve been entertaining for over 30 years and recently started performing at senior facilities. I sing and play the new Ketron arranger keyboard that sounds like anything from a grand piano to a full band. Knowing thousands of songs allows me to perform all styles of music from the 40s, 50s and 60s (plus 70s through today), bringing seniors the enjoyment that only their music provides.

Enclosed is a listing of recent area appearences. Feel free to call any of the them for a reference or to call me for additional information and for available dates."

Of course, the second paragraph can be included only after you've played a few performances.

Keep your fees at the average going rate, or perhaps *slightly* less than average to start out, but then immediately adjust the fee as soon as you can include that second paragraph. Since starting our ~ 2 years ago, I've increased my fees twice with no problem. Tell them about the cost of gas and they immediately understand.

That "average fee" in my area (Cleveland/Akron, OH) is ~ $70-$90/hour. To the best of my knowledge, Fla is ~ $20 lower, but always check out your area.

For your first performance, your playlist should be dynamite - the best of the best - mostly upbeat songs from the 30s, through early 60s, a few country (old country), at least one polka, with the closing song something that'll stick in their mind and keep them humming the rest of the day. Have fun and good luck,

Glenn