Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
... but dancing people allow only some seconds (15?)...

If they wanna dance then they should better go into a disco!!!
I'm a musician/composer and so I'm the one who shows the people how to use my own music.
If they wanna use my music in a wrong way I will easily stop with making music. I'm not the jasper of the spectators - I'm the jasper for my own.

If they wanna dance then a CD player is good enough for them ... those hobos (I'm so sorry for my opinion).

The fact is that playing with some musicians in a band is so much more difficult like playing alone as an arranger. All the actors have to play the right tunes in the right moment (timing) and all members have to have the right feeling at the same time. It's an 'all night long thrill' for the whole band...
Arrangers only push some buttons and the music goes on. What's difficult on it? It needs the same ability like using a CD player (okay, that's a little bit kidding - I know).
Otherwise the entertainer stands alone in front of the spectators. He won't get any 'help' from a friendly face - a with-contending (is it the right term?) musician.
Also an arranger doesn't need to share his income with other musicians.

I know that the most of you arrangers/musicians have to live with the money from gigs. So it's normal to do NOT wish to share this money. Otherwise IMHO a full band has a very much higher value as an arranger only pushing his buttons (like a CD player) because they are more heads working on the evening's success.
I mean that the musicians had to be payed per head and not per band.

Well, while I'm reading this again I notice that I have to explain some points:
1. I'm actually not playing dance music
2. I don't need to live from music until today
3. I strongly believe that music is an art - not a joke

Back to topic: So it's no problem to make longer pauses between songs (because of the keyborder who is hectically searching through his sound libs). There's a singer who can speak to the crowd, there's a guitar player who can play some tunes for the impatients, there's a drummer who can thunder the hall, ... there's so much more which can eliminate the boring pauses between the action parts - espacially when you're playing in a band.
------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 03-27-2005).]