I agree with Russ, and I included my reply to the use of the term "vultures" in my reply to genesys although he didn't use that phrase himself.

Remember that reps from ASCAP and BMI have to deal with restaurant and nightclub owners - not exactly the lilies of the business world. And to the establishment, they see performance royalty fees as a tax to be avoided. In fact, it's just another cost of doing business and the restaurant owners I know accept this and pay it and there is no intimidation used or needed whatsoever. I suspect that when strong-arm tactics come into play it's because and probably in proportion to the resistance to paying... and I believe reps are paid in commissions so it's their livelihood too. It's not a perfect solution and not always a pretty one even, but it's the one we're given until someone comes up with something better.

Yep, I'm not a union fan either. I would be if they worked as hard in states where they are not mandated as they do in states where they are. In "right to work" states here in the South, the union is a joke.