I'm pretty sure ASCAP can't fine anyone. What they have to do if an establishmnt refuses to pay is sue for copyright infringement.

Also, royalties are charged for music under liscense...that means that technically, fees are not imposed for music in the public domain, where copyrights have expired. The reason classical music is exempt is because it is in the public domain and the copyright has expired...really nothing to do with the type of music.

As far as union relationships, several years
ago, I was asked to play at a National Hardware show in Chicago at McCormack Convention center, in the Lakeshore suite, which was rented by a large internatinal firm. Knowing that there was a strong trade union mentality, I renewed my local card and thought I had everything covered. Within 10 minutes od starting, I was stopped by a union rep which said that their contract with the hotel required the only musicians from their local or out of area locals with a pre-approved (that means cut of the money) agreement could work. And this was a private affair.

What a pain in ***!

Russ