This argument has been going on for a very long time. Even the Beatles were once sued for performing there own music because a venue they played failed to pay the performance fees. (They were named along with the owner.)

Most of us think of songwriters and musicians as the same people but most of the music performed is written by a diffetent songwriter than the musician(s) that performs it. The only real way for these songwriters to make money is from these royalties.

It's well known that Paul McCartney makes most of his income from his publishing company. He owns the rights to thousands of songs and plays (but not the Beatles songs).

The problem I have is not that they collect the fees but that it really can be difficuly for an individule to figure out all the different royalties that need to be paid.

I wanted to open a free site for all of us put the non-original songs we record on our keyboards that would be legal. First I needed to determine which organization the performance rights were goverened by and purchase a 6 month general license (about $1200), then I had to contact the music publisher to find out their fee for recording the music.

It was just too much for a free site. If I could have found a license that I just paid so much per song downloaded. I might have considered funding it.

Best Wishes,

------------------
Heather- Leesburg, FL PR54