Ryan

"Sampling" refers to capturing brief (or not so brief) segments of music. For example, you could record a drum hit and store the sounds as a .wav file on your computer. You can then play back the sampled drum sound as part of a performance. There are programs that allow you to modify the sample, and also playback programs that modify the sound as you play.

Sampling is different from what I was suggesting, but could be used with my suggestion. I am suggesting using the computer as a "programmable player piano" of sorts. You write sheet music on your computer, specify what instruments are to play what notes. You can then use the sequencer to play your instrument(s). The nice thing about any computer sequencer is the ease of editing. Cakewalk has a whole line of sequencers worth investigating.

Your instrument could be a software sampler or synthesizer. For example, you could use your sequencer to play Gigasampler from Nemesis software.

I would buy a computer that comes with a good sound card, then you will not have to fool with internals. Buy a low-end Calkwalk sequencer, and an inexpensive keyborad controller. If you want your sequencer to "help" in your composition, get Band-In-A-Box first instead of a regular sequencer. I think this would get you started for less than $1K. The nice thing about such a setup is that you can easily upgrade in many different ways. With keyboards, you have to keep buying new keyboards. When you do get a keyboard, it can interface with your computer.

You will still want a nice keyboard, but if you lack money and want to compose, I think a computer-based system is worth considering.