Many thanks again to everyone for your advice and further clarification re foot pedal purchasing options. After checking out all your above recommendations, I decided to purchase the Yamaha FC5, especially after hearing that DonM's FC5 has lasted for over 10 years and is STILL working.

I purchased the FC5 for $13.49 US dollars. Though the Boss FS-5U certainly is well constructed and looks rugged, it surprisingly doesn't even include a required cord (1/4"). In addition, the Boss pedal list price is $39.50 ($26.99 sale price), so adding a required cable would cost even MORE.

René, I believe the switch you are referring to at the back of the FS-5U is called a polarity switch. What's nice about the PSR & Tyros keyboards is that they allow you to set the polarity (+/-) for each foot pedal, on the keyboard itself, so a physical switch on the foot pedal itself is not required, or as René points out, not recommended, especially if it can easily be inadvertantly switched over to the wrong setting by mistake.

btw: Thanks to MacAllcock for his detailed explanation of the way momentary switches work.

Scott