I'm SUDDENLY in the market for new footswitch pedals for my keyboard (Yamaha Tyros). My cheap freebie Alesis brand sustain pedal stopped working suddenly without warning tonight right in the middle of my gig (job).

As a result, I've now learned my lesson and will NEVER again use cheap pedals, especially because I rely on them for my work. It was frustrating, especially as a traditonal pianist who relies on utilizing sustain pedal techique, to have to play the arranger keyboard half the night with NO piano damper pedal sustain whatsoever.

Ok, I've now decided to REPLACE that cheapie damper pedal with the heavy duty (all METAL yet small foot print sized) Boss FS-5U (unlatched) pedal which is both RUGGED and well suited as a damper pedal because it is a momentary type switch.

I'm also considering purchasing a second heavy duty Boss brand pedal to trigger my keyboard's vocalizer on/off status, and a third Boss brand pedal to trigger a 'fill' to play.

Boss footswitch pedals come in 2 types: Unlatched (FS-5U) and latched (FS-FL).
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/en/foot_controllers_etc.html

The unlatched (FS-5U) is a momentary pedal switch suitable for use as a sustain damper pedal while the latched (FS-5L) version is supposedly designed for turning things (equipment) on/off. This being the case, WHICH pedal (FS-5U or FS-FL) is the correct pedal to use for triggering the vocalizer on/off, and which footswitch pedal is best to trigger an arranger 'fill' to play?

Thanks in advance,

- Scott