Quote:
Originally posted by Tomcat:
Scott, I think you would be well advised to upgrade to Sonar 4 PE; I did and I think it is very, very good. Also, I recommend you first try using WDM drivers because they are lower latency than the Asio ones, but the Asio are close, besides, that is what Cakewalk recommends

Tom, though a bit pricier than I would have prefered ($229), I went ahead & took your advice & upgraded to Sonar4 Producer edition instead of upgrading to Sonar 4 Studio edition ($79), in particular for Producer's inclusion of more & better efx processing and tweaking features, Producer's unique patented (POW-R) enhanced dithering algorithm feature making dithering from 24 to 16 bit CD better at preserving the sound quality of the 24/96 original, as well as per channel EQ, only available in the Producer version.

I also realize that Cakewalk supports both WDM & ASIO drivers, though they tend to encourage using WDM as they especially tailored Sonar to work well with it. I'll probably end up testing out both and make my final determination after gleaming the results.

As far as the 'surround sound' effects included with the Lexicon Pantheon reverb feature, I doubt I'll have much use for it as I'm not into 5:1 audio video. Still, the Producer version of Sonar includes both: the Sonitus FX suite & the full of the Lexicon Pantheon Reverb library, of which includes a lot more stereo efx choices than than the LE (light version) included with Sonar Studio. Here's a listing of the Producer exclusive features:
http://cakewalk.com/products/SONAR/producer.asp

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-26-2005).]