Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
Hey Joost,

Then, I wanted to see how the playing a midi file directly off a floppy worked. Both the salesman and I sat there pressing buttons after buttons and couldn't make it happen. None of the choices made any sense...So I grabbed the manual. Finally figured it out...You have to do this, then this, THEN this. Oh, I get it now. So I wrote it off as a 'first time user inexperienced' kind of thing. Then, I tried to change an instrument on one of the tracks before the midi started to play....Can't do it. The midi has to be loaded into RAM if you plan on making any changes. Bummer cause thats what takes all the time, loading the songs into RAM, whether from a floppy, CD-ROM, or hard drive. I wonder if other keyboards are the same in that respect.
[This message has been edited by msutliff (edited 01-15-2003).]

The navagation is a bit diffrent the the WK/SK series before (thankfully) They really did try to make it a more user friendly instrument. Which in my opinion have succeeded in doing. Editing a midi file on almost any instrument isn't easy, and some it's impossible. Generalmusic took the approach that most people that just want to play a quick song, are not going to want to edit the song. With this, you just press the select button, choice the song and press play... instantly they song is playing. If you want to change the instruments and mess around with the seaquence, you can just hit the mixer button, and select the track you want to change, you are now changing the insruments. Remember you need to be in single sound mode to change instruments.

Another point about the display, Color screens or touch screens add more cost to the bottom line of the instrument. The display works, and makes it easy to get around on the instrument with easy.

If you don't like a sound, add one you do like, Illio, or Spectrosonics have some incredible sounds you can load into the instrument. The best part about it, is that the whole instrument works on Flash Ram, so when you load the sound in the instrument, you will not have to re-load it, just because you turned off the instrument... the genesys is capible of loading Kurzweil, AIFF, AKAI, WAV samples, all right from the built in floppy or CD ROM, even better, you can store samples that you don't use all the time, onto the hard drive.