Hi Uncle Dave,

I guess it's time for me to come to the defense of my beloved Technics KN5000 keyboard. The KN5000 sounds, styles, and ease of use are unequaled in producing a realistic acoustic combo sound (at least for the type of music I specialize in: acoustic jazz, swing, blues, r&b, pop standards), especially when played in "pianist" mode which recognizes and allows you to play complex piano chord voicings.

I've played in "live" jazz combos for years (vocalist/pianist) and I can honestly tell you that when playing on the KN5000 in "pianist mode" that it is the closest thing to playing with the "real pros". To me the "acoustic" piano sound on the KN5000 is the most realistic & natural sounding available on any arranger keyboard (though others of you may disagree). It compliments the auto-accomp. rhythm section nicely when both comping and soloing jazz & pop standards. I've had nationally acclaimed jazz musicians tell me how impressed they were with the KN5000's realistic acoustic jazz sounds (piano, bass, vibes, drums) & spontaneous fills triggered (drum/bass etc) which create a realisitic sounding "live" improvisational effect." The KN5000 really comes off as sounding "spontaneous" which is the key to making great music, especially jazz.

For rock-contempo oriented music, the X1 styles may be better suited, but for acoustic jazz & pop/ swing oriented material, I love the KN5000.

I am interested in purchasing a Solton X1 as I am very impressed with the X1's sounds & styles; but my biggest concern is the VERY STEEP learning curve which I hear may prove quite frustrating for some time. The KN5000 on the other hand is very quick to learn, "user friendly" and easy to operate.

This leads to a compromise solution: Anyone here interested in "trading" Solton X1 styles for KN5000 styles?

- Scott