Jick,
One of the things that annoys me about the PSR 740 is the fact that you always get a fill in whenever you push one of the 4 part (variation) buttons. Because this is true, I think Yamaha is wrong and you are right. Think about it ! The fact that you select one of the variations and you always get a fill in first would mean that you can't get away from a fill in for that part! I think an example would be if you are playing variation 1 and you hit variation 3, what you hear is the fill in for variation 3 before actually playing variation 3. Therefore, hitting variation 2 right after hitting variation 3, you will get both of the different fill ins. My fix for not hearing any fills, which is a problem in the new PSR 9000 as well, is to memorize 4 registration memories with acccomp. on and store variation 1 into memory 1, variation 2 into memory2, variation 3 into memory 3 and variation 4 into memory 4. Doing this allows me to switch between the 4 variations with no fills at all. This is like most other keyboards on the market. I really think Yamaha should have had seperate fill buttons like in the past rather than this new system.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)