Over the years, there has been much discussion on this forum regarding individual preferences for keyboard feel, action, even key size. Some of you prefer brand X while others prefer brand Y.

Often, I hear suggested - "If only they would put that top of the line model keybed in this lower/midrange model. I would buy it in a minute". Ah - but then the costs would go up significantly!

Which brings me to the point I want to make. What really is the cost of an improved keybed platform?

At NAMM 2005, Edirol (Roland) announced a new improved series of midi keyboard controllers. http://edirol.com/products/info/pcrm80.html

One of the big selling points is an significantly improved keybed over its predecessor.

"The PCR-M80 is a revised version of the popular PCR-80 MIDI Keyboard Controller. Like the PCR-80, the PCR-M80 offers direct connection to the computer through USB, 61-Keys, 27 assignable MIDI controllers, a software editor, MIDI input and output, and both sustain and expression pedal connections. Some advancement the PCR-M80 has made over the PCR-80 includes the addition of velocity curves, switchable MIDI interface, and a new key-action found on Roland's higher-end synths. The PCR-M80's key-action has been refined to produce even less mechanical noise than its predecessor and offer a consistent, playable feel. The keys themselves are slightly more rounded to keep your fingers from tripping over the keys during quick glissandi".

In a general price search, the older model lists at $395 while the newer model lists at $375! --> $20 less!

So - they borrow a decent and proven keybed from their higher end line and incorporate it to a lower/mid-range product for less!

You don't have to re-invent the wheel and pay $200 - $300 more for a better keybed, do you?

Mark