Hello Squeak,

I think where our particular type of instruments are concerned there will always be this 'debate'. In my opinion we buy our instruments with the expectation that they will emulate the sounds we require to the best possible standard. The very fact that we will spend the price of a small island to own the top boards should entitle us to that expectation at least, otherwise why bother?

If a company (any of them) sell's it's boards by advertising the quality of their sounds (and most of them do) then if I part with my dosh I expect that quality to be there. I don't think is at all unreasonable on my part?

If we as consumers were just willing to accept that to get the best of one sound you have to buy brand a and to get the best of another you buy brand b then that is what we will get from the manufacturers ad infenitum. Critisism can be constructive and I don't believe anything was ever achieved by meekly accepting limitations.

If we all sit back and accept that sometimes you press trumpet only to get a sound akin to next doors cat when it finds the pepper on your lawn then we had better all brush up, learn the hundred or so instruments on a keyboard and haul em all to the next gig!

I agree that personal taste has a lot to do with it but we all have a right to expect the best possible for our buck! (Or pound in my case )
ttfn
Tony

------------------
" Music is the only one of the arts that cannot be prostituted to a base use." (Elbert Hubbard).
"Elbert Hubbard and I have never met. He is not familiar with my work." (Tony W.)