SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#481332 - 11/21/19 07:59 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: Harold123]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Harold123
Is possible to install ones favorite Organs or pianos etc through Sampling into the Genos?...Harold

Harold for a basic tone.. Yes.

The problem a Hammond sound has many inflexions, and how they interact when played.. You would need several layers, velocity switched, for each note and control by the user to switch the layers.

It is much to deep and the samplers of any keyboard will not do the job.

There are several good software (VST) available.. A better choice than adding a multi sample on a Genos or any keyboard.

#481333 - 11/21/19 08:02 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Sorry, I don’t understand.

If you want the Hammond organ sound..,,,

Why not buy a Hammond organ?

#481337 - 11/21/19 08:17 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: guitpic1]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By guitpic1
Sorry, I don’t understand.

If you want the Hammond organ sound..,,,

Why not buy a Hammond organ?

The arranger keyboard is a jack of all trades that can emulate all types of instruments without buying any other instruments, therefore having to buy a Hammond Organ in adition to the arranger keyboard defeats what the arranger keyboard is about.

Bill

#481339 - 11/21/19 08:22 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Thanks Fran...It gives Me a better understanding...So the VST's are the way to go...I still don't understand the process...Never had any experience in any of this...Sincerely, Harold

#481341 - 11/21/19 08:38 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
I spent a couple hours listening and comparing "Hammond" organ sounds.
Genos, SD90, and Hammond model. These are illustrated in the posted video..

I listened to all the organs in Genos including optional packs.

I would not want to play the Genos as a naked organ..

Compared to the Hammond (best), and the SD90 (very good).. the Genos is very bright, it doesn't have the Hammond warmth.. it is too digital.

I found it more suited to sounding like a transistor Lowery or Thomas.
Organ players would know what I am talking about.
I also think Yamaha makes it too hard to get to drawbars.

I am wondering if the SX900 or Tyros5 are as weak in "Hammond" sounds..

Still no hands on to verify my opinion, but usually YouTube is pretty true with sounds.

Acoustic Piano, and the new Sax sound good..

I got to hook up with Donny and try hands on.. If he doesn't leave me alone in the sandbox again smile

Yamaha never had good b3 sounds..
They all sound typically Yamaha..

If you want great B3 sounds in your Genos,
There are a few 3rd party expansions with very good sampled B3 sounds..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#481345 - 11/21/19 09:25 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Apparently, most of you have audiences that can distinguish a B3 sound?

Back in the 60’s, we had a rock band...we fronted some major acts at the time.

The keyboardist used a Hammond B3...a real b...., to move.

We reunited for a concert in 2007. All of us were retired...had more $$$....bought better instruments than we had in the 60’s.

The keyboardist for our band bought a Hammond B3 portable organ. Sounded good to me.

Edited by guitpic1 (11/21/19 09:28 AM)

#481350 - 11/21/19 09:56 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
When "rating" organ sounds, I think the largest part of the tone os actually the Leslie (or sim). Years ago, I heard a DX7 through a wooden Leslie, and it was spot on. The DX uses sine waves, so it was easy to understand. What was missing was the dynamic percussion allocation, but still great.
My biggest "WTF" moment came when my band was doing an affair in a hotel in Philly. On our break, we wandered around, visiting the other banquet rooms and heard the best organ trio sound ever coming from down the hall. When we looked in the room, it was a CORDOVOX, drummer, and sax ... but he was pumped into a Leslie 122. Both instruments sounded "real" to me, and my bandmates.

So, my point is this: the tone is a 2 part symbiosis - each part compliments the other to produce the sound we have come to know and love as that "Hammond" sound. For what it's worth, my PA4x totally satisfies my need for any "B3ing" I need. Back in the day, I needed the actual beast to do the deeds, but in my small studio, in my quiet apartment, I am very happy with the emulations I get with digital recreations.
SV-1 is my Rhodes
PA4x is my organ
Pianos are abundant in almost everything else I use, but my new favorite is the SX900 played with the keys of the SV1 through midi.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online