Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
OOOH! THAT WAS COLD, LOL

#471690 - 06/25/19 12:07 PM Re: SD40 Question [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Chas,...MIDI is nothing that new....
yes I know all about it but it does absolutely nothing
for MY NEEDS at all. Years ago 70's/80's I always performed
in a band with 4 keyboards without MIDI....
a B3/147 leslie & Fender Rhodes at a right angle
second tier a Juno 60 & Crumar Performer
It was heaven.. not an arranger KB in sight. cool2

Edited by Dnj (06/25/19 12:07 PM)

#471695 - 06/25/19 12:35 PM Re: SD40 Question [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Just kidding you Donny. I'm a limited user myself (don't use it in recording, although I probably should). I HAVE to use it to trigger my many modules and computer VSTi's, but for recording I stick strictly to 'audio'. It's definitely easier to edit (tracks) in midi but I'd just rather re-record (replay) a 'bad' part. Kidding aside though, it helps these days to have a good basic knowledge of how MIDI works. Sooner or later you're going to have to deal with it.

chas

#471701 - 06/25/19 02:36 PM Re: SD40 Question [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Donny you are looking at one aspect of midi use.. All the years I have known you... you have always used midi. It could be derived from midi, originated by midi, organized by midi.. etc.

For example those styles you have played and edited are midi based.. the SMF's you used are all midi.. the registrations you use... yep, midi based. Vst's and control to your MixCraft... midi.
All continue controller commands, like volume, expression , reverb send levels and such.. midi based.. Many are internal midi based but you are using midi...all the time..

#471702 - 06/25/19 02:58 PM Re: SD40 Question [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Originally Posted By Dnj

Donny you are looking at one aspect of midi use.. All the years I have known you... you have always used midi. It could be derived from midi, originated by midi, organized by midi.. etc.

For example those styles you have played and edited are midi based.. the SMF's you used are all midi.. the registrations you use... yep, midi based. Vst's and control to your MixCraft... midi.
All continue controller commands, like volume, expression , reverb send levels and such.. midi based.. Many are internal midi based but you are using midi...all the time..

Fran... I was mainly talking about midi connections... Sysex.... Cc codes, channels, ..controllers etc,. ... Gives me a big headache...

Edited by Dnj (06/25/19 02:58 PM)

#471703 - 06/25/19 02:59 PM Re: SD40 Question [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
But you are using them already without any effort on your part... no headache smile

#471704 - 06/25/19 03:04 PM Re: SD40 Question [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

But you are using them already without any effort on your part... no headache smile

maybe so but your not understanding my pov...

din din time now

#471780 - 06/26/19 02:39 PM Re: SD40 Question [Re: Bernie9]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Hi Chris
I have to limit the gear to the SD40 and perhaps Kenton Midi Host.
I have to play it like a harmonica, as opposed to keys, as this allow me to play freely by ear.
The DM48 has midi cc messages, which is now on ch2-wind controller, midi program numbers, midi ctrl keys 22-24, whatever that means.

However, it works fine on my Pa4X using Upper2 voice, for gigs with a keyboard. Curt will undoubtedly get back to me also. I appreciate your help.

Bernie
Hi Bernie, I'd say that what you are trying to do here is really a simple, straightforward MIDI task as you would think also, but the limited MIDI implementation on the SD40 makes it tricky. I really like your idea of playing the DM48 for solo voices while both hands are on the keyboard. It will bring more life into arranger and keyboard playing. For that reason, I have a Hammond 44, but the problem is that I don't have three hands. I thought about a MIDI harmonica for some time, and finally after your post I got myself a Jamboxx Pro. I don't know about your DM48, but the Jamboxx Pro originally designed for physically challenged people can be played on a bracket, which frees both hands.

Going back to MIDI, the DM48 manual doesn't mention anything about how to program/send PC messages. The other day, I took my SD40 out from storage and set it up. Though the pic doesn't show it, my FR4x is connected to the SD40 via USB, and a Korg Microkey air 49 (as a substitute for the MIDI harmonica I will be getting this week) and a USB MIDI device keypad (to send PC messages) into MIDI In 1 on the SD40. As expected, I could call up any patch I want. Also, the SD40 seems to fully support patch remain. I suppose I can do the same by using a MIDI foot controller to send PC messages. Watch this gentleman playing the Jamboxx Pro and Sensual Sax. I have Sensual Sax in my iPad, but I didn't know that a PC version is also available for $20. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-8JG4XIvJs

[img:left][/img]
Chris

Edited by Torch (06/26/19 06:07 PM)
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#471806 - 06/27/19 01:44 AM Re: SD40 Question [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
This is very interesting, and would like to hear how you make out. In the meantime, I have to content my self with alternating the DM48 and Microkey 61 to play lead voices on the SD40. Actually, I am not missing much that way except right hand comping while on the DM48. I still have left hand chord and comping, along with the style. It seems to much for me to try and send midi messages to voice the DM48, but probably because you are much more midifluent(I just coined a new word). The other problem is not enough hands. I don't have a neck holder big enough for the DM48.

The Jammbox Pro looks interesting ,at a much lower price than my DM48. Keep us informed.

Edited by Bernie9 (06/27/19 01:45 AM)

#471814 - 06/27/19 05:57 AM Re: SD40 Question [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Now you can see my point in this pic Fran... eek2

Originally Posted By Torch
Originally Posted By Bernie9
Hi Chris
I have to limit the gear to the SD40 and perhaps Kenton Midi Host.
I have to play it like a harmonica, as opposed to keys, as this allow me to play freely by ear.
The DM48 has midi cc messages, which is now on ch2-wind controller, midi program numbers, midi ctrl keys 22-24, whatever that means.

However, it works fine on my Pa4X using Upper2 voice, for gigs with a keyboard. Curt will undoubtedly get back to me also. I appreciate your help.

Bernie
Hi Bernie, I'd say that what you are trying to do here is really a simple, straightforward MIDI task as you would think also, but the limited MIDI implementation on the SD40 makes it tricky. I really like your idea of playing the DM48 for solo voices while both hands are on the keyboard. It will bring more life into arranger and keyboard playing. For that reason, I have a Hammond 44, but the problem is that I don't have three hands. I thought about a MIDI harmonica for some time, and finally after your post I got myself a Jamboxx Pro. I don't know about your DM48, but the Jamboxx Pro originally designed for physically challenged people can be played on a bracket, which frees both hands.

Going back to MIDI, the DM48 manual doesn't mention anything about how to program/send PC messages. The other day, I took my SD40 out from storage and set it up. Though the pic doesn't show it, my FR4x is connected to the SD40 via USB, and a Korg Microkey air 49 (as a substitute for the MIDI harmonica I will be getting this week) and a USB MIDI device keypad (to send PC messages) into MIDI In 1 on the SD40. As expected, I could call up any patch I want. Also, the SD40 seems to fully support patch remain. I suppose I can do the same by using a MIDI foot controller to send PC messages. Watch this gentleman playing the Jamboxx Pro and Sensual Sax. I have Sensual Sax in my iPad, but I didn't know that a PC version is also available for $20. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-8JG4XIvJs

[img:left][/img]
Chris

Edited by Dnj (06/27/19 05:59 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online