Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#349149 - 08/15/12 11:52 AM flr2012 Software Arranger System
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

The basic system consist of:

Windows 7.
Live-Styler (mostly), vArranger & OMB.
Abeleton Live includes effects (replaces forte as host).
Kontakt 5 Sampler for Main or Right Hand Sounds.

Main or Right Hand VST Sounds:
NI Kontakt 5, Bardstown, VRSound, GOP, JABB, Garritan Strings, and many others.

Auto Accompaniment Wavetables:
Halion 1.5, Bandstand, SGM 2.01, Colossus (General Midi, XG, GS, etc.)

Antares Harmony EFX (Works well with Abeleton Live but not with Brainspawn's forte.).

i7 Intell Processor
8GB RAM
M-Audio 1010LT Soundcard

This system works well with my Roland A37 controller keyboard:

You can use the lowest octave for changing variations, fills, etc. Alternatively you can progam all the buttons on the PC keyboard to perform all the arranger controls you want.

There is no noticable delay in playing the notes or changing sounds for both the auto accompaniment (Wavetable is fully loaded or each wave is partially loaded) or the main (right hand voices which are loaded in Kontakt/Abeleton Live-switching channels changes voices, etc.). Now you may from time to time changes all your right hand voices to better suit what your playing say from jazz to country....keep in mind you can load many, many, many, many sounds since it only loads part of each wave within each sound.

As most of you know I have used this kind of system for years, and then some. Would I ever go back to a hardware based system....the answer is absolutely not. On top of everything the system sounds really, really good.

Lucky me!!!

Frank

#349151 - 08/15/12 12:37 PM Re: flr2012 Software Arranger System [Re: Frank L. Rosenthal]
arbrandes Offline

Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Nice, Frank! My setup is similar to yours, but I'm still on Cantabile Performer (I didn't like Forte and can't be bothered to try Ableton Live).

I just wish development on OMB and Live Styler would pick up the pace, or that vArranger was about 300€ cheaper. :P

Do you like vArranger, by the way?

#349160 - 08/15/12 03:08 PM Re: flr2012 Software Arranger System [Re: Frank L. Rosenthal]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
noticed you gave up Forte, any particular reason?

Also with VArranger, what soundsource are you using for the Ketron style's Live Drums?

Dan's just introduced Roland styles to VArranger, so it's got me interested enough to switch my PA3X off for a day or 2. haahaa

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#349163 - 08/15/12 05:14 PM Re: flr2012 Software Arranger System [Re: arbrandes]

arbrandes, my go to auto accompaniment player is Live-Styler. In fact, I purchased the complete system including thousands of styles and sounds (giga and soundfont). Ableton Live turns out to be a very good host. It takes a bit of effort to get it all setup.

Rikki, I gave up on forte so I could use a much higher quality vocal harmonizer, namely Antares' Harmony EFX.

At this point I have not used any of the Ketron stuff with vArranger. This will be a future undertaking.

Frank

#349165 - 08/15/12 05:38 PM Re: flr2012 Software Arranger System [Re: Frank L. Rosenthal]

Rikki, I should have mentioned that my perference would be to have a software based wavetable for use with vArranger. I want to stay away from hardware based stuff including sound modules. How well this would work for Ketron's mix of midi and audio based styles I don't know.

Frank

#349166 - 08/15/12 05:49 PM Re: flr2012 Software Arranger System [Re: Frank L. Rosenthal]

Correction: It should have been Halion 1.6.

#349167 - 08/15/12 05:58 PM Re: flr2012 Software Arranger System [Re: Frank L. Rosenthal]

I should have mentioned that I also use VI.ONE for both auto accompaniment and main voices.

#349174 - 08/15/12 10:43 PM Re: flr2012 Software Arranger System [Re: Frank L. Rosenthal]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
you're going to have problems with the "LIVE DRUMS" if the Ketron style uses a Live Drum kit. SD1 styles do, though can't remember if it's the case for all of them. Styles from earlier models may not be a problem.

Originally Posted By: Frank L. Rosenthal
Rikki, I should have mentioned that my perference would be to have a software based wavetable for use with vArranger. I want to stay away from hardware based stuff including sound modules. How well this would work for Ketron's mix of midi and audio based styles I don't know.

Frank

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#349175 - 08/15/12 10:44 PM Re: flr2012 Software Arranger System [Re: Frank L. Rosenthal]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
what's that??

I should have mentioned that I also use VI.ONE for both auto accompaniment and main voices.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#349179 - 08/16/12 12:14 AM Re: flr2012 Software Arranger System [Re: rikkisbears]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Frank,
what's that??

http://vir2.com/instruments/vione

Enjoy

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online