Hi All

I am looking for some help on behalf of a friend who has a Tyros 1.

He is trying to control an outboard harmoniser with the Tyros over midi (I know there is an inbuilt one, but he doesn't like it). Normally, this would be easy to do by setting the harmoniser to receive on the same channel that the tyros sends out its LH part i.e. channel 4. This works fine, as expected.

The complication comes in as my friend always uses the Tyros in single-finger-chord mode. This confuses the outboard device as the notes used to create minor and seventh chords in the single-finger-mode are still interpreted as being conventional played notes by the harmoniser. The intervals between the notes in the Yamaha single finger system often means that the Tyros may be playing a minor chord when the harmoniser thinks you want a seventh, for example. Again this is pretty much what you would expect.

I am trying to help him solve this one by patching the harmoniser to respond one of the style chord tracks. However, my friend is convinced he has seen a store demonstration of a Tyros set up with some kind of outboard harmoniser, where the harmoniser was responding correctly to played single finger chords. This suggests that there may be some way of getting the Tyros to send out true chord data even in single finger mode.

Unfortunately the store where my friend saw the demo has since closed, so he can't ask them about this. He is very non-technical and I am not at all familiar with the Tyros, so it's like the blind leading the blind. Also, we don't live near each other, so I am trying to help him over the phone without the kit in front of me.

Anyone out there got any ideas which might help?

Thanks in advance - Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeTV (edited 05-11-2006).]