Quote:
Originally posted by TedS:
Mike not sure if you have solved your problem yet but here is what I would try...
Activate the LEFT voice on the Tyros, something with sustain like Organ or Strings. Now when you play single-finger chords the Tyros will output 3- and 4- note triads on MIDI channel 2 which should be recognized by the vocalizer.

If you don't want to *hear* the LH voice, just turn down the volume on that track.

For most styles the Pad and some other channels should contain useful chord data:
11- Bass
12- Chord 1
13- Chord 2
14- Pad
The pad pretty much just plays a sustained chord.

Give it a try, let us know if this works. Note I have a PSR-3000 so the channels might be different, but I doubt it.

Ted Sowirka

Hi Ted - Thanks for that.

Just before your posting, we had a good few hours experimenting much along these lines. Results were:

- Using LH and reading Ch 2 output in single finger mode. This doesn't work as the Tyros outputs the physical notes that are keyed by the player, rather than the eventual chord that the single finger intelligence produces. It goes wrong where the two notes required to produce a minor (say C and Bb for a C minor) are not unreasonably interpreted as a C7 by the harmoniser.

- Ther is a "half way house" fingering setting on the Tyros which recognises true chords when at least three notes are played, but defaults to single finger mode when less than three notes are keyed. This was more successful, but still seemed to require more mental effort from the player to remember which types of chords would need full fingering than would be needed to actually play all the chords properly.

- I was also thinking along the lines of using one of the internal style tracks to derive the chords. This is partially successful. The harmoniser does pick up the output OK, but the results are unpredictable and vary from style to style. If the particular track chosen is playing sustained chords (like a string pad, for example) the results are OK. However, the same track on the next style you pick may have a melodic content. In that case the harmoniser is driven crazy as it tries to follow any melodic phrase. Results are therfore not predictable enough and it isn't a realistic proposition to change midi channels to suit the style all the time.

Net result is that, after much experimenting, my friend has accepted that he needs to put the effort in and learn to use proper chords.

Many thanks for the suggestions from all of you.

Regards - Mike