Hey all you PSR 9000 users around the world. I'm having a hell of a hard time getting the drive to work. Here's my problem.
I installed a Toshiba 1.3 gig that I bought from Yamaha for the PSR 8000's. I formated the drive just fine. I created a directory called XG Songs. I then took an XG standard midi file disk with 8 songs on it and when to the copy file prompt. I then saw all the songs and I chose the all copy and hit next and went to the destination disk of Hard Drive XG song directory and copied all the songs to the hard drive. Now,,,,, in the old PSR 8000 to find a song on the drive all I had to do was hit song select, choose the hard drive directory I wanted, and scroll down and choose the song I wanted to play and push start. However,,,,,,, on the 9000 everytime I push one of the song buttons marked with a I -V, all I get is that the disk is not in the drive. I can't figure out how to select the hard drive as the source of playing a midi file. The manual really sucks in this area. There is almost no information on doing anything other than the simplist tasks. All of you guys that think the X1 manual is bad, just wait till you see this one! I haven't been this frustrated since the first time I looked at the roland G800 manual. Please help if you can. Especially you european users who have had this product for a couple of months now. I appreciate any help offered.
Thanks,
George Kaye
PS. What I thought of this keyboard when I tried it in October at Yamaha is still my humble opinion. The sounds are good, the styles are just OK and the operating system leaves much to be desired. But, it is a Yamaha, and it looks great and the speakers are wonderful. However, I still don't like not being able to call up any sound I want in a song or style quickly without having to enter into a recording mode. If there is another way of doing it, I've spent all day today looking for it and can't find it. I did an A-B test of styles and sounds between the X1 and PSR 9000, and I still think the styles in the X1 are much more exciting and the hard disk's ability to find things quickly and change things quickly are a plus in my opinion. Maybe after a few sessions with the 9000 I will change my opinion. I like it alot, but I would have liked to have seen some major enhancments that just are not there yet.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)