Hello;

By now I have had my Yamaha PSR-SX900 for almost 5 months. I’m a bit disappointed that the keys became noisy really quickly, I expect that adding some grease would fix the problem, but I’m not ready yet to bring it to the service.

But even with this shortcoming, I tend to think that this is the best option I can have right now.

For a long time I considered Yamaha MODX7 to be my best option, yet I failed to buy it twice. First time I thought that Roland Juno DS76 would be enough, bought that one, although I am still playing it, I regretted a bit that I didn’t buy MODX7 instead, and when I finally got enough money for MODX7, I found a good deal for PSR-SX900 and took it, thus rejected the MODX again.

What surprised me later when I was studying Data Lists for MODX and PSR-SX900, that SX900 actually has a larger collection of “Seattle Strings” than MODX does. I guess it’s because the SX900 was released later.

I guess, the reason why I chose PSR over MODX was that while listening to them on YouTube I concluded that traditional music like BossaNova was still closer to me than some experimental electronic stuff. And while MODX is suitable for all the genres, I have a feeling that it’s more about synthetic stuff and arpeggios, while the PSR line is more about acoustic instruments.

I recorded a small “concert”; this way I try to figure my relationship with arranges myself, still don’t have a conclusive feeling about it.

What I can say, is that 76 keys would be nicer. But even with 61 keys, the SX900 gave me the refreshment I needed after my old PSR-S950; with new drums all the styles sound differently, while new guitars and electric pianos, strings and choirs have really opened a new chapter for me, so even without being perfect it helps to keep the enthusiasm alive, which is the whole point anyway.