SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#489933 - 02/22/20 04:36 AM SX900 Very Good Except-
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have always tried to make a new keyboard ready for gigging by trying to use all aspects of performances come from the board itself. As we all know,sometimes it is better to also use some outboard equipment,even if it is a little more setup time.

As it pertains to the SX900,Midi song play is one. I have imported my favorite Midifiles,and attempted to make registrations with them,choosing my lead sounds in reg 1-4. I then turn to the Midi,change the score key signature,and mute the lead channel.I control volume balance with Live knobs. This is one song.

Not only is it time consuming,but some things like key signature in the score is not remembered,or the mute has to be repeated in 1-4,all due to the capsulized nature of Yamahas reg/bank system.

As well as I like my SX900 for many other reasons,I wonder if I wouldn't be better off just taking my laptop,with my Notation Composer,which is set up for all of my songs. The only negatives might be GM sound engine in LT wouldn't be quite as good,but close,using their softsynth,which is default. The other is that the Aux In volume of the SX900 is controlled my the Master Control,also controlling the keyboard lead sounds. The work around is to send the LT volume to the mixer on a separate channel.

I am sorry to be so wordy,but I have to commit to one or the other.

#489934 - 02/22/20 04:41 AM Re: SX900 Very Good Except- [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Bernie at least your trying different configurations to suit your needs, and mixing it up as it should be ....
sorry your not there yet but close...let's face it the SX900 is mainly an
arranger kb even though it has a few other features....
but it's main use is using it as an arranger as it should be
and does that well imo..
why not just use your Korg Pa4x 76 which I would say it's features are
more multifuntional friendly for arranger/tracks smf cdg,play/etc,...
wouldn't that come close to your perfect unit handling
all your are asking above...?

good luck

Edited by Dnj (02/22/20 04:58 AM)

#489942 - 02/22/20 05:42 AM Re: SX900 Very Good Except- [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Thanks for the reply Donny,and you are right in what you say. In many cases I would do just that,however,I bought the SX900 for certain occasions and variety. Even if I used the SX900 for 25% of my gigs,I might want to include Midi play over,as well as singing,on those occasions. You have helped me answer my own question,because,now, it is even more remote that I would spent tons of time on setting up Midis,and just take my laptop.

Bernie

#489958 - 02/22/20 10:37 AM Re: SX900 Very Good Except- [Re: Bernie9]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Bernie,
Forgive me for going a little off-topic. But I've been looking for a score display program that duplicates the functionality of what Yamaha has on-board.

What's the name of the program you have on your laptop, and does it display melody and chords, fake book style? If you transpose the score, do the chord symbols also transpose? Thanks!

#489965 - 02/22/20 11:39 AM Re: SX900 Very Good Except- [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Hi Ted
I have used Noteworthy Composer for the last twenty years. It does far more than I have use for,including composing scores from scratch. The thing I find awkward with the SX900 is that you work from a small display that shows whatever channel you choose,but usually no chords,and the signature has to to set for each registration,to avoid unnecessary accidentals. It works for some,but I have too many to foll with.

Composer reads the entire score by default,showing you every part. You press part to choose Fakebook,melody staff,and all parts except drums to get your chords. Then all you have to do is go to set up and mute the highlighted melody part. You now have a good quality fake sheet that scrolls with chords,through the song. You save it as a Notation file,and it always comes up as you saved it,with no adjustments necessary.

Of coarse,it being Midi,and in need of a soundset,you have choices. I have midi'd the laptop to the keyboard with an interface to use the SX900 GM sounds,and it works fairly well,usually. I usually keep it separate so I don't pick up strange sounds,and use the built in softsynth,which is default. It is better than the old windows GM soundset,but you can get better with some other soft synths or an SD2 module,eg.

The Composer is $99 downloadable,and the Musician with fewer features is cheaper.

I think it is great,myself.

Bernie

#489966 - 02/22/20 11:47 AM Re: SX900 Very Good Except- [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Thanks for the reply Donny,and you are right in what you say. In many cases I would do just that,however,I bought the SX900 for certain occasions and variety. Even if I used the SX900 for 25% of my gigs,I might want to include Midi play over,as well as singing,on those occasions. You have helped me answer my own question,because,now, it is even more remote that I would spent tons of time on setting up Midis,and just take my laptop.

Bernie

Good luck to you Bernie I love your enthusiasm you're my kind of man...mix it up baby

Edited by Dnj (02/22/20 11:47 AM)

#489967 - 02/22/20 12:06 PM Re: SX900 Very Good Except- [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Ted
I forgot to answer your question on key change and chords. You can easily change to any key,and the correct chords are immediately shown.

#489968 - 02/22/20 01:36 PM Re: SX900 Very Good Except- [Re: Bernie9]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie,

the midi files you’re using are they recorded for gm sounds or xg ?

If they’re recorded for gm, the xg drum kits would give you problems .

I’m currently having problems trying to use biab with the sx900, when I try and use the sx900 factory sounds , my drum kits default to piano, violin, even though I have biab set to xg.

I have now set biab to GS instead, it sends out a message that defaults the sx900 to gs sounds. Gives me a few extra to play with..

Unless your midi files are all recorded for an xg soundsource, I’d stick with your laptop, midied to whatever soundsource suits.

I don’t find it all that easy to read a music score off a small keyboard screen either.

Eventually I’ll put mine in my iPad, meanwhile , I’m just printing up, or using my music old books, home use only of course. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#489991 - 02/23/20 01:23 AM Re: SX900 Very Good Except- [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Hi Rikki

Thanks for the confirmation. Maybe this is why,on occasion,I get weird sounds when midi'd to Sx900. As you say,I am better of with the laptop and independent sound source. Your experiences are always of interest because,with your difficulties with something,I know what to avoid.

Bernie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online