I have always tried to make a new keyboard ready for gigging by trying to use all aspects of performances come from the board itself. As we all know,sometimes it is better to also use some outboard equipment,even if it is a little more setup time.

As it pertains to the SX900,Midi song play is one. I have imported my favorite Midifiles,and attempted to make registrations with them,choosing my lead sounds in reg 1-4. I then turn to the Midi,change the score key signature,and mute the lead channel.I control volume balance with Live knobs. This is one song.

Not only is it time consuming,but some things like key signature in the score is not remembered,or the mute has to be repeated in 1-4,all due to the capsulized nature of Yamahas reg/bank system.

As well as I like my SX900 for many other reasons,I wonder if I wouldn't be better off just taking my laptop,with my Notation Composer,which is set up for all of my songs. The only negatives might be GM sound engine in LT wouldn't be quite as good,but close,using their softsynth,which is default. The other is that the Aux In volume of the SX900 is controlled my the Master Control,also controlling the keyboard lead sounds. The work around is to send the LT volume to the mixer on a separate channel.

I am sorry to be so wordy,but I have to commit to one or the other.