SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#487240 - 01/19/20 09:44 AM message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Made you look, didn't I?
I've been really thinking about all things gear, and why I made some of the decisions I've made over the years ... and my paisan Donny came to mind. Now, I've fanned the fire as much as anyone here regarding his whiplash decisions (maybe more), but he knows I'm always in his corner. So, here's where my head is today ...

When I started playing keyboards, the only goal was sound. It was the 70s, and the Rhodes was all the rage (still is), so I had to have one. Of course, it's a one trick musical pony, so I also needed something else for color sounds .... organs, strings, clav - all meant extra pieces. At one time, I was carrying 6 keyboards to work, and I stacked them all in two piles. One in front, and one to my right. Added a solid drum machine (du jour), and I was set to compete with the other 4 and 5 piece bands in my area.

After years of lugging, and schlepping, and 2 hour set-ups, and needing a van to carry it all, I started to beak away from the bulk, and thankfully, arranger keyboards were in their renaissance period, and effectively could consolidate some of the bulk I was carrying. So, with one keyboard I could have a decent drummer, strong bass, good comping sounds (Rhodes, etc) and a layer sound for the right hand. AMAZING.

Fast forward a few more years, and the gear got better and better, and cheaper and cheaper, till we're where we are now ... but back to Donny ...

Donny played organs, and pianos for years with bands before the arrangers hit the scene, and like me, as a singer he gravitated to the versatility that arrangers afforded the working musician, as the bands began to shrink ... player, by player till the OMB was the norm in the local club scene. Back then it was important to fill the room, and make a sound that could compete with the 3 and 4 pc bands that were becoming extinct because of budget cuts, high insurance rates, and diminished crowds, due to DUI enforcement.
We NEEDED a versatile, workhorse to stay working, and the arrangers provided an easy answer.

Fast forward again to 2020 - my boy has retired. Donny has put in the time. He's played every type of venue available, using every type of gear, and even made his own backups with his favorite setups. He essentially can DJ and sing a full night with an iPhone (if he was an Apple guy) and a powered speaker, and now that the demand to "fill the room" has gone away ... maybe it's time to stop searching for that "perfect" workhorse. Donny, your demands have changed - you don't have to compete anymore - you've made your mark, supported your family, and earned a well deserved rest from the rigors of the road.

If I may be so bold, I think the reason that nothing seems to satisfy you lately is that you're trying to fill a niche that you no longer HAVE TO FILL. Sure, the music will always be with you, but the need to be a OMB is no longer a priority. I think it'd be wise to step back, and stop trying to "stay connected" to the latest, greatest thing in a world that you no longer have to live in. This may sound harsh, but I mean it as a compliment. You simply don't HAVE to do the OMB thing anymore, and when you CHOOSE to do a few things here, and there - you can use what you've already recorded.

Your life has changed quite a bit in the last few years, and there are holes that need to be filled with other endeavors. I think a B3 clone just may be the thing to keep your juices flowing. The new organs have killer sounds and features, and you can play whatever, and whenever you want ... in your underwear if you choose to. (yikes)

I honestly don't believe an arranger (ANY arranger) will please you anymore. You have to accept the fact that your needs have changed, and start pleasing your LIKES instead. Set up a home studio based on a fun-to-play high end organ/keyboard hybrid and I predict you'll be happier than ever. Just my take on it, having known you for a long time. I think accepting retirement is a challenge for anyone, and I think you'll be much more content if you let the parade pass by (so to speak) ... and enjoy the creation process at home. Make tracks, improvise, record another album .... cherry pick a few jobs that make you happy, spend less time on this forum (he said with love), and get out there and do something productive.

You should be proud of the work you've done, and not have any regrets as you forge on to this next chapter of creation. Just think about it ... Dnj on the B3 ... yeah, baby.

#487241 - 01/19/20 09:59 AM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Does UPS have a 12-step withdrawal program though? Nobody wants to see that truck pass the house without stopping! smile

#487242 - 01/19/20 10:05 AM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Dave that was an amazing assessment I have a tear in my eye
as to how much truth in in your words as much as I hate to admit it,
but it is mostly true...all of it wow! I love you man!!
As for actually putting it all in motion that will be my new direction,even Chas inspired me deeply with his last song contribution which was fantastic..
It's like when you go back to your old neighborhood after many years it is very sentimental walking around and deep feelings emerge.
Yes I have done it all "MY WAY" and sadly after my recent early retirement at 66 I certainly need a new musical path and stop trying to invoke the past. Sometimes I sit here in the studio setting up all these songs and stop and say to myself .."Why am I doing this?"
I am not going to play out with the keyboard. Instead I should be here making myself happy with what I really want to play keyboard wise..if it's a Hammond, MOJO, etc, of some kind so be it, etc,...
if I need back up I have my computer DAW, VSt's etc,
and so many backing tracks to jam with also.
This post Dave posted is definitely a wake up call...
not only for me but I'll bet for many people reading it also.
Thank you Dave well written...cya soon.

#487244 - 01/19/20 10:33 AM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: Uncle Dave]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
i dont know about donny but i REALLY needed to hear this. after spending hours researching "my next keyboard" , you gave me a slap in the face to stop this madness and REALLY look inward.
thanks dave

#487248 - 01/19/20 11:21 AM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: Uncle Dave]
DannyUK Offline

What a beautiful message from Dave.

And I just want to add. Donny has helped me so much in my own keyboard ventures, I have also chopped and changed over and over again, and now I am more than happy with what I have, and Donny has been influential in this, because of his advice and experience, and also support, he has such invaluable experience of pretty much everything out there, and this is something to embrace because there are not many people like this around who would bother to spend the time in helping someone.

As I said in another thread, I love you guys.

#487250 - 01/19/20 11:33 AM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: Uncle Dave]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Very thought provoking comments....you guys really know each other....

So, yep, that's exactly what I am doing, going back to organ, BUT I will have a SX-900 on top, a good 61 MIDI keyboard on bottom, and maybe a pedalboard, we'll see.
I am a member of the wood shop here where I live (55+ community) so I may even build a cabinet of some sort eventually, meanwhile I have a good way to stack them with a nice close fit, overhanging keys etc.

When I get it set up, I'll post a photo. And when I do a nice song on it, I'll post that too.

I thought about importing a Yamaha organ from Japan, but I can do as well or better with the SX-900 as the core. I even found a expression pedal with 2 side switches (TRX Organ folks have it.)

#487253 - 01/19/20 11:55 AM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
A couple days ago, I took a detour home from the VA Hospital at Perry Point, Maryland, drove down to the mouth of Deer Creek where it empties into the Susquehanna River, put the van in park and watched the river flow by. It was cold, windy and nasty, but in the van, life was good. I got to thinking, which is rare these days. When spring arrives, I wondered if I could make the 50-foot trek up the bank to the railroad bridge, cross the bridge and get to the rocky outcrop on the opposite side of the creek. If I could, I would set up a lightweight lawn chair, bait up a size 1 wide gap hook with a glob of night crawler and catch of blue catfish or maybe some northern snakeheads. I really didn't have a keyboard thought in my mind - just wanted to sit in the spring sunshine, catch some fish and have fun.

Donny, maybe you should think more about ways to have fun - GAS surely doesn't cut it. Take Nancy and Donny JR out on one of the many headboats that run from the Jersey Shore, catch some fish and enjoy what little life you have left on Planet Earth. There's a lot more to life than You Tube and GAS.

Your friend,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#487254 - 01/19/20 12:05 PM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: DannyUK]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DannyUK
What a beautiful message from Dave.

And I just want to add. Donny has helped me so much in my own keyboard ventures, I have also chopped and changed over and over again, and now I am more than happy with what I have, and Donny has been influential in this, because of his advice and experience, and also support, he has such invaluable experience of pretty much everything out there, and this is something to embrace because there are not many people like this around who would bother to spend the time in helping someone.

As I said in another thread, I love you guys.

Danny your very welcome ....
good luck with your musical endeavors
and if you need help just shout!!

#487255 - 01/19/20 12:10 PM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
A couple days ago, I took a detour home from the VA Hospital at Perry Point, Maryland, drove down to the mouth of Deer Creek where it empties into the Susquehanna River, put the van in park and watched the river flow by. It was cold, windy and nasty, but in the van, life was good. I got to thinking, which is rare these days. When spring arrives, I wondered if I could make the 50-foot trek up the bank to the railroad bridge, cross the bridge and get to the rocky outcrop on the opposite side of the creek. If I could, I would set up a lightweight lawn chair, bait up a size 1 wide gap hook with a glob of night crawler and catch of blue catfish or maybe some northern snakeheads. I really didn't have a keyboard thought in my mind - just wanted to sit in the spring sunshine, catch some fish and have fun.

Donny, maybe you should think more about ways to have fun - GAS surely doesn't cut it. Take Nancy and Donny JR out on one of the many headboats that run from the Jersey Shore, catch some fish and enjoy what little life you have left on Planet Earth. There's a lot more to life than You Tube and GAS.

Your friend,

Gary cool

Gary no worries there is plenty to do
living on the shore here,.....keeping myself busy is pretty easy.
We are always out and about. Stay well my friend.

#487259 - 01/19/20 12:26 PM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I hope this post is still going when it's MY time to reassess the whole work thing. I figure, I have another 10 or so years before I slow down, but who knows?
Hope I can take my own advice when it's time to hear it. smile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online