SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#487378 - 01/20/20 04:48 PM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: bruno123]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I love music, and playing it. When I discovered others enjoyed what I played, I started performing. I liked pleasing people; performing per say not so much. I always felt like I was sharing my music with my audience. I didn't have the presence, or even ego, of a lot of other entertainers. My success came from playing what people wanted to hear in the style they expected to hear it. It became a lot of work with the 5 pc band, with glimpses of fun here and there. So it wasn't so hard for me to give up last year. I remained available for single work until recently. Almost all of my equipment is gone now and I don't miss the load/unload/setup/teardown/repeat.
I do believe the ability to walk away depends on personality, and necessity to move forward. Some thrive, and even depend on the attention and affirmation of an audience. Personally that wasn't the case for me. My satisfaction came from getting it right from my point of view.
Right now life has taken a turn, a good one even with physical difficulties, and I've realized I did what I originally set out to do for awhile and am satisfied with that. I miss it sometimes, but not for long. My performing days have their place in my personal nostalgia...and I'm ok with that. On to the next..Donny, I wish you well along with anyone else facing the challenges of change.

#487382 - 01/20/20 05:06 PM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ummm, nicely said.....and a very healthy outlook.

chas

#487388 - 01/20/20 05:21 PM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: sparky589]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By sparky589
Donny, I wish you well along with anyone else facing the challenges of change.

Thank you buddy..

#487401 - 01/20/20 06:57 PM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: Uncle Dave]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Well I don't agree. I'm 76 and still working on playing out. Maybe I'm dreaming more than I'm working but the dream is still alive. Gotta keep trying to move on.

#487490 - 01/21/20 05:06 PM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Everyone has a specific timetable. My Dad's been retired for almost 30 years, from a job he LOVED, but he cherishes his time off just as much, and if you ask him how he enjoys retirement, his answer is "I don't know how I ever found the time TO WORK!"

We'll all make these choices in our own time.

#487491 - 01/21/20 05:30 PM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: ekurburski]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By ekurburski
Well I don't agree. I'm 76 and still working on playing out. Maybe I'm dreaming more than I'm working but the dream is still alive. Gotta keep trying to move on.

Have you ever played out?

#487527 - 01/22/20 08:58 AM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: Uncle Dave]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Great thoughts all - however we choose to make our music, it is wonderful therapy. Whether we are gigging and enjoying the challenges of crowd pleasing, or kicking back in our bedroom slippers with the phones on, playing an arranger (or other instrument) is always great for the soul. I don't know what I would do without music in my life. I am sure you all have the same feelings.

Great sentiments Dave and enjoyed reading all the responses on this subject!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#487535 - 01/22/20 10:53 AM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: saxxman]
Dnj Offline

Well I have read Uncle Dave's words many times on here and I have come to realize that as much as I am against returning to being
a "gear hoarder" and by repeated multi trial and error with so many keyboards I have come to this conclusion. No one keyboard will ever fill my needs, wants and love for my music.
That said as I love playing Arranger keyboard
and singing all kinds of songs on top of the styles, tracks etc...
I also like to go back to my roots and play Hammond Organ with waterfall keys , drawbars etc, and just jam out like I did as a kid in so many bands in the 60's,70's..only do it at home with some good backing tracks.
So I have decided to keep my Roland EA7 which does all the styles playing so very well that an arranger keyboard can do and may even take it out once in a Blue Moon too to perform with.
But to satisfy my Hammond Organ Jones I am deeply considering a dual keyboard Hammond SKX underneath on a double tier stand. This way I have the best of both worlds and can sit and enjoy two styles of playing. For now I am still pondering this idea, but it makes sense in many ways. More thought is needed. To be continued....

Meanwhile tonight I am going to have dinner at a nice high end
Italian Restaurant with Fran & the wives
and see Uncle Dave perform with the SX900
gonna be a good time!! cool2

Take care

Edited by Dnj (01/22/20 10:55 AM)

#487537 - 01/22/20 10:54 AM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Whoo Hoo - road trip!

#487539 - 01/22/20 11:07 AM Re: message for Dnj from the (your) Godfather [Re: Dnj]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Meanwhile tonight I am going to have dinner at a nice high end
Italian Restaurant with Fran & the wives
and see Uncle Dave perform with the SX900
gonna be a good time!! cool2

Take care

Sounds like a great night and a great opportunity for a Group Hug and Photo! Just sayin'!!

Have fun DNJ and friends! rocker

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online