what keyboard is the best?

Posted by: Mark79100

what keyboard is the best? - 08/06/18 09:45 PM

All of them nowadays. With piano lessons now, I'm going to try and make my mark as a pianist instead of an arranger player. But I realize I need a good digital piano to gig with, for places that don't have an acoustic piano, All I have is the PA3x. So I've been making trips back and forth to the music store and trying the Privias and the Yamahas. Can't find a Roland! But, they all sound good. Slightly different, but quality is much better than it was years ago. And, the one thing I finally realized, is that the audience will accept anything as long as it's entertaining. I figured that out by all these summer concerts I've been going to. Not one of the keyboard players has a new instrument, but do you think anyone notices......NO!. (One fellow I talked to didn't even remember what keyboard he was using it was so old.)

You could drive yourself bonkers going back and forth between keyboards. I'm going to just close my eyes and pick one...either a Yamaha or a Privia. My local GC has tons of them on the floor.

BTW...I was reading the post this morning about the Yamaha DGX-660. I thought "perfect" until I saw the dimensions and weight. Then I noticed someone mentioned the Korg Havian 30. Listened to a few Youtubes, saw what it could do, totally impressed and the big bang for the buck (not to mention good piano sounds), and immediately called SA to inquire about it. He told me it's discontinued. I asked about the Havian 70 (?). He called his rep in California and came back to me with the news: No one at Korg knows anything about a Havian 70. I think I'd like to get a Havian. If anyone knows about a new model coming out, please advise me. Heck, it's something like a mini-PA4x at a fraction of the cost. And great styles.

As of now, I'm figuring out this is a "throwaway" world anyway. So why not just buy a cheap Casio for $500-$600, carry it under my arm for knock-about gigs, and when something really attractive comes along, put the Casio on the shelf and go with the new one.
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/07/18 09:26 AM

Mark
Its really what features you want. I wanted a TOP piano for home and got the Roland FP90. Its so good if I get a steady piano gig I would want to take it despite the 50LB. weight. Take a step down in price and weight and you get he FP30. $700 and it woud definatly do the job. You can even use the bluetooth App for some Rhythms.
In the music store where I worked we had the Roland, Casio Privia, and Yamaha models all at about the same price point. different features with each with the Privia offing the most bells and whistles. Price point is where you will find the big differences in key feel and sound.
Make a comparison list of features of each and then shop. You can also buy/return if you can't find one in the store.
Posted by: montunoman

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/07/18 10:14 AM

Mark,

It sounds like you want to bring your digital piano out with you for performances?
If this is the case, the weight of the instrument is a very important factor. Also even the best digital piano it’s not gonna sound very good through a poor PA system.

I happen to own Havian 30, Which I bought through a store in New Jersey at the beginning of the year. I’m sure if you look around on the Internet you can find some stores ithat still have the Havian in stock.

I personally love my Havian and use it almost exclusively as a home practice instrument,

Now with that being said, I know there are better digital pianos out there and better arranger keyboards out there. It’s sort of a hybrid of a digital piano and arranger. For my purposes it’s suites me very well.
Posted by: Bachus

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/07/18 12:11 PM

Mark the Ketron sd40 weights 2kg and can be added to any 88 key you want...
Its curentlt the only way to get top of the line arranger styles on an 88 key piano..
This also gives you the freedom of choice for piano..
(Like the roland rd 2000, which is the pro version of the fp-90)
Which works like a charm in combination with an SD40
Posted by: Dnj

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/07/18 01:57 PM

Why carry a heavy piano to a NH when 99% have pianos?
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/07/18 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

99% of the players that want more … like rhythms, or backing tracks..

And when was the last time you played a nursing home on the house piano..... NEVER grin

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/07/18 02:29 PM

I know many players that walk in and play piano and sing and walk out all the time... if you want Rhythm accompaniment bring a laptop or an arranger..

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/07/18 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

That would be the ideal situation, There are plenty of places besides nursing homes that do not have acoustic panels and lots of places that do have acoustic pianos that are poorly maintained

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/07/18 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By montunoman
Originally Posted By Dnj

That would be the ideal situation, There are plenty of places besides nursing homes that do not have acoustic panels and lots of places that do have acoustic pianos that are poorly maintained

Most upscale facilities have decent pianos,..also many players are just too lazy to carry gear plain and simple...
they walk in to a NH play piano and sing, no mic either,
they just want the check$$..and who can blame them they get away with it.? eek2

PS I saw a guy do a NH show with just his Iphone speakers with backing tracks..no Mic, no Pa system at all..just stroll along and sing to the residents and they love it..go figure?

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/07/18 04:05 PM

I’ve seen a guy do something very similar- just a boom box, sax, he sang, no mic.... He is very talented for sure and works a lot. Really made me rethink getting a Genos/ LOL.

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/07/18 09:33 PM

I don’t know…..it’s taken it’s toll on me….going to see these summer concert musicians. My thinking has changed dramatically these last few months. Not one of them had a keyboard newer than maybe 10 years. Some of them even had outdated Karaoke equipment. No one noticed…..no one cared. Why not just give in…….when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

I’m driving myself into a dither trying to do everything at one time: piano lessons to improve my playing skills still, learning new songs, staying aware of new music equipment (seems like there’s something new and revolutionary every day now!), studying story material for my shows. Something has to give and I think (and hope), with these piano lessons my presentation will improve to the point it will just be me and a good piano and I don't have to think about equipment anymore (though I haven’t ruled out going back to arranger playing).

Anyhow, thanks to you guys for the suggestions. I can see why they have “think tanks” and “brainstorming sessions” now.

Bill…..I DID consider the Roland, but NOT the FP90. The FP 30, but I can’t find one in the store to try. Also, I don’t want to go in for 2K until I know what I’m doing. But I will definitely consider the 30. For that kind of money it’s a no-brainer.

Bachus: That’s a really great idea that I didn’t think about. Hardly any weight and really good sounds. The glitch I found out when I Googled the SD40 and the Roland 2000. appx $2400 for each. Otherwise that really IS a great route to go.
Posted by: Bachus

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/07/18 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By Mark79100
I don’t know…..it’s taken it’s toll on me….going to see these summer concert musicians. My thinking has changed dramatically these last few months. Not one of them had a keyboard newer than maybe 10 years. Some of them even had outdated Karaoke equipment. No one noticed…..no one cared. Why not just give in…….when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

I’m driving myself into a dither trying to do everything at one time: piano lessons to improve my playing skills still, learning new songs, staying aware of new music equipment (seems like there’s something new and revolutionary every day now!), studying story material for my shows. Something has to give and I think (and hope), with these piano lessons my presentation will improve to the point it will just be me and a good piano and I don't have to think about equipment anymore (though I haven’t ruled out going back to arranger playing).

Anyhow, thanks to you guys for the suggestions. I can see why they have “think tanks” and “brainstorming sessions” now.

Bill…..I DID consider the Roland, but NOT the FP90. The FP 30, but I can’t find one in the store to try. Also, I don’t want to go in for 2K until I know what I’m doing. But I will definitely consider the 30. For that kind of money it’s a no-brainer.

Bachus: That’s a really great idea that I didn’t think about. Hardly any weight and really good sounds. The glitch I found out when I Googled the SD40 and the Roland 2000. appx $2400 for each. Otherwise that really IS a great route to go.

Yes, top end instrument are kind of expensive...

However, the same idea would also work with a used stage-piano, or a casio px-5s and a used Roland BK7M... Still decent styles and and both the BK7 aranger module as well as the keyboard are extremely light. even works on batteries.

I think as long as you stay away from the Casio styles engine, you are okay... but thats a personal opinion.. The older Roland has much more to offer then the current Casio keys...

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/07/18 09:46 PM

the weight of the instrument is a very important factor.

Yeah, sadly this is true. I go back and forth between buying a knock-around digital piano and a top-end that I'm going to enjoy playing like Bill did. I really wish there weren't so many choices!

I happen to own Havian 30, Which I bought through a store in New Jersey at the beginning of the year.

I didn’t know you had a Havian 30. I really like that keyboard. It’s pretty, sounds good, really great styles, reasonably priced, portable, etc I’ve been listening to a lot of the Havian demos.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/digitalpianos/havian_30/page_2.php

Now where in New Jersey did you buy yours? I can’t find them for sale anywhere online. Oh yes, there was a used one for $2400. That must be some keyboard if they’re asking that price!

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/07/18 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Yes, and all restaurants have food on the premises. That doesn't mean it's good food.

99% of nursing homes do NOT have pianos. My guess would be about 50%. The ones who do have them, as Paul said, are poorly maintained, unless it's a very upscale independent living place. The average nursing home in these parts that do have pianos, I would have to say.......I'd rather be playing one of those honky-tonks in a saloon in the Old West where Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid might frequent.

Whatever happened to the music scene these days? I still remember the early days when you had nothing more than an accordion and an amplifier and you put it in the trunk of a '65 Pontiac and a piano in a nursing home was not even an issue!
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/08/18 05:42 AM

Mark
In the FP 30's price range I think it was the best out of three others we had at the store. Best keyfeel and basic piano sound IMO. I don't know how much you are planning on using Rhythms or Styles with your new setup but the Bluetooth IPad Roland App for the 30 gives has a decent set of basic Rhythms. Enough for a restaurant or NH gig. Showing off that app sold a few pianos at the store. Super simple and free. To upgrade at a later date get the BK7m if you need more.
The FP30 was my first choice for a main piano and after I ordered it I felt I should go the way and not intending to move it much I went with the FP90. But I think I would have been happy with the 30 too.

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/08/18 05:47 AM

Originally Posted By Mark79100
Originally Posted By Dnj

Yes, and all restaurants have food on the premises. That doesn't mean it's good food.

99% of nursing homes do NOT have pianos. My guess would be about 50%. The ones who do have them, as Paul said, are poorly maintained, unless it's a very upscale independent living place. The average nursing home in these parts that do have pianos, I would have to say.......I'd rather be playing one of those honky-tonks in a saloon in the Old West where Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid might frequent.

Whatever happened to the music scene these days? I still remember the early days when you had nothing more than an accordion and an amplifier and you put it in the trunk of a '65 Pontiac and a piano in a nursing home was not even an issue!

as you quoted above
"No one noticed…..no one cared. Why not just give in"?

The "early days" are GONE today your just a spec in the ocean in tis game a body to fill a need......it's a sad state of affairs that you have to accept and stay stuck in the NH game or up your game into the DJ/player/party bass thumper game,.......or maybe join a tribute band it's the new popular thing or find that rare pizza place or bar with a restaurant in back full of kids and who knows who.....
As far as Nh gigs when I was on the circuit I only played upscale NH's 99% all had a piano..some one on each floor also Yamaha, Steinway, Kawai,.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/08/18 08:22 AM

When I was working, it was rare to run into a NH that DID NOT have a piano, though most were old and out of tune.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed performing the senior circuit. Better hours, better pay, no drunks to put up with, nicer audiences, what's not to like.

When I worked the bar/nite club/restaurant circuit the hours were lousy, the pay was low, had to put up with drunks and some really obnoxious people and if the bar had a bad night, it was always the entertainer's fault - even if there were a blizzard outside.

For the most part, people from all walks of live, regardless of age, just want to be entertained. If you are a good entertainer, you can make a good living in this business, and pretty much do your own thing. The key is being a good entertainer. Musicians, DJs, KJs, etc..., are a dime a dozen. However, the ones that are also good entertainers do very well.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/08/18 10:02 AM

Hi Mark, I got a new Korg Havian 30 From 8th Street Music in New Jersey for $999 at the beginning of this year. I just did a Google search and you are right the prices of this instrument have gone up.

Here’s a used on on reverbnation for $1063

https://reverb.com/p/korg-havian-30-88-k...p;hfid=12652294

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/08/18 10:07 AM

Try this link:

https://reverb.com/p/korg-havian-30-88-key-digital-ensemble-piano

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/10/18 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

The FP30 was my first choice for a main piano

Interesting, Bill. I was talking to a keyboard dept manager, that I know real well, in one of the big stores in upstate NY. We talked about everything, but he DID say the same thing. Out of all the keyboards he has in stock, his choice is also the Roland FP series....and the FP 30 for that price range. Now I've just got to find one to try it out.

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/10/18 10:19 PM

I got a new Korg Havian 30 From 8th Street Music in New Jersey for $999 at the beginning of this year. I just did a Google search and you are right the prices of this instrument have gone up.

Here’s a used on on reverbnation for $1063

Hi Paul........I called 8th Street Music. Would you believe the salesman I talked to didn't even know they sold a Havian. I'm guessing they had limited stock on it because it was a short-lived product from Korg. You're the luckiest man on the planet because I think you got the last one on the planet.

Can't find them anywhere! That one on reverb.com....I don't feel good about that company by instinct. And the price is too high. I got enticed partly by the $1,000 price tag when I first notice them. At the very least, that keyboard is the entry vehicle into the world of the PX's!

So that's it on the Havian for me. There just aren't any left anywhere!

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/10/18 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
As far as NH gigs when I was on the circuit I only played upscale NH's 99% all had a piano.....some one on each floor also Yamaha, Steinway, Kawai,.

You know, you just reminded me of something. All these new upscale independent living places they're building all over this state DO have expensive grand pianos. One place I play has this gorgeous sounding Yamaha Grand. Another has a $32K grand. Another has a brand new Kawai console. Many have them just for decoration in a small smoking room....others have them on or near a stage. But that IS part of the ornamentation....like back in the early part of the century...no home was complete without a piano.

Originally Posted By Dnj
The "early days" are GONE today your just a spec in the ocean in it's a sad state of affairs that you have to accept and stay stuck in the NH game

There's a story I read in the paper about 30 years ago that I never forgot.

A talented Russian Classical concert pianist either had to leave the homeland or did it by choice. Bottom line is he was not known here and couldn't get any work. When they interviewed him for a news article, he said he was doing the nursing homes. He also said this is the happiest he has ever been and that he would not go back to the loneliness of the concert stage for anything. That he found his niche in integrating himself with an audience and making them happy individually rather than collectively.

Re: what keyboard is the best? - 08/10/18 10:45 PM

Odds and ends notes and thoughts from the last few days

Had a good long talk with a keyboard dept manager I know in a music superstore. We talked about.....

how the Havian 70 might be coming out in Europe, but it might not even be released in the USA because we're the last to get "revolutionary" new keyboards, if we get them at all

Tyros was discontinued (I didn't know that)

good digital pianos he recommends: Roland fp30 and fp series (his first choice) next: yamaha p125 (flash from me: 08-10-18: Yamaha Introduces the P-121 Compact Digital Piano) then Casio px160 and there's the kawai ES110 (but he said they have constant circuit board problems), poor man's rich keyboard: Yamaha DGX-660

his advice on buying (which I always forget) NEVER, EVER make a decision based on what you hear in a Youtube video over tiny computer speakers

Havian (and other Korg products) are made in Italy, and they determine what styles they are going to put in the machine by selecting from a small group of professionals in Europe who make up styles and then submit them to Korg for the arranger keyboards

there's a good possibility that they will soon stop making them in Italy and start making them in the Orient (and designing them there too)

America is like an afterthought for the top arranger makers....some of the machines aren't even mentioned here......they depend on European sales to turn a profit and keep the industry flourishing.
--------

So I had a light bulb moment today. A new approach on what to buy.

I'm so focused on what to use on the job, I'm forgetting I'm going to be playing it a heck of a lot at home. Like sometimes in the middle of the night. I think I'm going to go for a higher end keyboard so that I can enjoy playing it at home too.

That's as far as I got. As far as which piano to buy, I find in life in general.....when you don't know what to do.......DO NOTHING (until you know what to do)!